 CAD / 11335
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:12:04 GMT

As a programmer for some 28+ years I have extreme reservations about Open source or as i call it “socialized” programming.

The entire concept of open source flies in the face of intellectual property rights. That being who owns the rights to distrubute the software as they see fit, to control how it works, to control what is done with it.

I have written in excess of a million lines of code over the years on everything from giant mainframes to laptops, so i have a pretty good idea of how the world works when it comes to programming. Every line of code i have written as part of my employment belongs legally and completely to the company I was working for at the time I wrote it or the client it was written for. The code that I have written for personal use, and there is a lot of it, is mine to do as i see fit. I own it. I have from time to time given programs to others for their use, but under the agreement that it will always remain under my control.

I suppose one of the reservations i have with open source, expecially Linux is that is almost a cult type of mentality. All pray at the alter of Linux or be ground into the dust, flamed, spammed, hacked, abused.

Now I am not saying that all open source is bad, or that giving away programs for use is bad. What I am saying is that the open source community believes that they have the right to modify, re-write, used, abuse, and violate ownership rights on every program, ever file type, every interface that they seem to like. and anyone that stands in their way is evil, hence the way they treat Bill Gates.

Let the flaming, hacking, and denial of service attacks begin.