 CAD / 11313
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:54:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
I can only speak for myself. I am a self-made programmer with huge voids in my
programming skills. I am probably breaking every existing convention of good
programming habits.

I already know that, and I don't wish to have that confirmed those who know how
to write perfectly correct code.

This is just curiosity, and feel free not to answer. To clarify, you don't want
people criticizing the code you put your energy into?

That is closest.

I understand the feeling. For me, when I open up my work (I don't code, but I do
write, papers, a book, proposals, etc) to others, I expect and welcome
criticism, so long as it is framed constructively. If I were to venture a guess,
you aren't so concerned about people making constructive suggestions as you are
with them being harsh while dissecting the work?

I know it is a difficult step, because I've had to get over it myself, but my
advice to you would be; realize that if they are being harsh in their cricitism,
the problem lies with them, and not with you. If they take the time to write a
well-reasoned critique, encouraging you and teaching you 'proper' structures,
then appreciate it. Try not to take offense if you sense someone is merely
criticizing your work to make themselves feel superior.

Or, do you not want people
replacing your code with 'perfectly correct' code?

I know, I know. I once stated that all my LDraw related work is public domain
and anyone can do whatever they wish with it without my explicit permission. But
I am in the process of re-thinking that policy...

(( On one hand, I wish things to be correctly handled, but on the other hand,
when things really are handled correctly and rules and guidelines are drawn up,
the text mass and the complicated language makes me too tired to go through it
all ))

That isn't the intent of those drawing up the rules, whether it be procedures on
the PT or organizational bylaws. If there are cases where you feel something is
too thick, especially having English as a second language, I hope you feel
comfortable speaking up and asking for some simplification for non-native
English speakers. I would hope that drawing up of rules doesn't disenfranchise
anyone because it is simply too difficult to understand, and I would hate to
have those people not speak up (constructively) to address the issue for them.

-Tim