 CAD / 11371
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:35:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

I don't think the above looks like stuff that goes into an LDraw file format,
unless we introduce a whole bunch of meta commands.  When it is this far off, is
it worth forcing it into the LDraw file format?  I suppose the advantage is that
people can define their hose type directly in an LDraw file and have it ported
around with it.  Hmmm...

Actually, I'd very much like to figure what definition information can be put in part
files, and how model files could then specify the specific way the part is deformed.

Hi Steve,

  I'm still trying to understand this terse response.

  Right now, LSynth uses meta commands and part usages to define constraints for
the synthesis process.  LSynth performs in-line synthesis.  That is to say, it
does not spit out the synthesized part into a seperate file, but puts the
synthesis results in the file where the synthesis specification exists.

  The synthesis specification provides the type of thing being synthesized
(pneumatic hose, ribbed hose, fiber optic cable, electric cable, rubber band,
chain, plastic tread, rubber tread) and the color.  For hose like entities
(think splines), LSynth expects constraint parts that describe the position and
orientation of the host at discrete points, and LSynth splines between the
constraints.  It then spits out a sequence of hose cross sections to simulate a
piece of hose.  For rubber bands, LSynth expects pulleys and bushes (all in the
same plane please), and synthesises parts for the arc around the constraint and
the tangent between two constraints.  For chain and plastic tread, gears are
used.  For rubber tread, the proper wheels are used.

  I'm not sure how this fits with what you are envisioning.  Could you be a
little less terse?

Steve

Thanks,
Kevin