 CAD / 11334
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 02:46:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:

<snip>

That sounds good, but will lsynthcp still be a separate program?  I
still want to create an LDDP style plugin wrapper for lsynthcp so it
can be incorporated into both LDDP and ldglite, allowing you to
preview synthesized parts without having to run them through POV.
If I remember, I fiddled with some changes to lsynthcp to make this
easier, but we all got tied up in a discussion over command line
options vs meta-command changes that never got resolved.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=8250

lsynthcp will always be a seperate program so that other programs can use it as
a library sort of thing, like Lars taught me about L3P.

Someone mentioned getopt and everyone seemed to like it but me, because
I'd already started working with the original meta-command syntax.
Did that getopt syntax stuff ever go anywhere, or was that just a red
herring?

I don't like the getopt format because it is so different than standard issue
meta-commands.

Anyhow, I suppose I could just check the changes into CVS and see if
anyone notices. ;^)

Well, I have to get hooked in and put in a few of my changes as well.

Don

Another thing I'd like to do is stop hard coding constraints and synthesis parts
into LSynth (at least for band synthesis), and move those controls externally to
a file.

Defining part/radius/orientation for bands should be easy.  Defining cross
sections and end parts for hoses should be easy too.

Kevin