 CAD / 11344
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:06:50 GMT

I would publicly like to thank Leonardo Zide (who wrote Leocad) and
Don Heyse (who wrote ldglite) for making their programs open source.
And to all the other lego programmers whose programs are open source that
I haven't had a play with yet :)

And I would like to publicly like to thank Don Heyse for LDGLite and Travis
Cobbs for LDView.  Special thanks go to Don Heyse since his application is
basically the father of all Mac OS LDraw editors (except one that isn't being
worked on and has few features).

I have asked MANY developers with closed source to port their tools, share their
source with those who would port, or make it open source.  The only one who has
worked with me is Lars Hassing with L3P, and for that I also publicly thank him.
Incidentally, I never saw a line of Lars' private code because he got a friend
of his to work with him on it.

I could care less about Open Source, but I fully support it just simplly because
I never use Windows (really) and I would like all of those nifty Windows
utilities on my Mac.  In fact, alot of my friends and family don't use Windows,
but Mac OS and Linux (some Amiga even).

With the exception of Lars, no one with closed source has been willing to port
their software.  If their software was open source, there is at least a higher
chance than 0% that it will get ported.