 CAD / 11306
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:09:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
For the record there are a number of LDraw tools that are open source.  Here's a
(incomplete) list: [...]

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.  However, they represent only a portion of the
LDRAW tool set.

The open source initiative is great and I fully support it but the main thing
going against it is what I like to call "Open Source Snobs".  Basically these
people are a small cross section of the community that think that any program
that is not open source isn't worth their attention.  This attitude of elitism
turns me off from the open source idea a little bit simply because I feel they
these individuals are dictating to me instead of presenting thier point of view
and allow me to decide what is best.  It would be one thing if these "snobs"
were a quiet corner of the community but they seem be the most vocal and "in
your face" people out there.  I think this leaves a bad taste in the mouth of
potential converts.

I hope that's not an accusation.  For the sake of civility I will assume you are
not talking about me in particular.

Open Source is a great way to achieve a high quality product without a paid team
of developers.  Commercial software has its place, too.  But I feel that unless
a developer is hoping to some day make money from his or her project, keeping it
closed source and distribituting it for free means missing out on a great
opportunity.

--Bill.