 CAD / 11339
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:54:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
lsynthcp will always be a seperate program so that other programs
can use it as a library sort of thing, like Lars taught me about L3P.

Ah, that's good to hear.

Someone mentioned getopt and everyone seemed to like it but me, because
I'd already started working with the original meta-command syntax.
Did that getopt syntax stuff ever go anywhere, or was that just a red
herring?

I don't like the getopt format because it is so different than
standard issue meta-commands.

Waitaminute!!  That's what I said a year ago, but you appeared to
get suckered in by the getopt proposal.  Oh well.

Well, I actually want to take this kind of thing to the LSC for review.

Anyhow, I suppose I could just check the changes into CVS and see if
anyone notices. ;^)

Well, I have to get hooked in and put in a few of my changes as well.

Short instructions:
  http://www.netbeans.org/kb/articles/sourceforge.html
Medium instructions:
  http://delphree.clexpert.com/pages/sf_howto.htm
Long instructions:
  http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=766&group_id=1

Another thing I'd like to do is stop hard coding constraints and
synthesis parts into LSynth (at least for band synthesis), and move
those controls externally to a file.

Defining part/radius/orientation for bands should be easy.  Defining
cross sections and end parts for hoses should be easy too.

You should consider using ldraw.ini for this on Windows.  Then it can
use the portable version of getprivateprofilestring().  Or were you
thinking of passing a config filename to lsynthcp on the command line,
or maybe just a DAT file with a bunch of meta commands?  ldconfig.ldr?

I had not made it this far. I had just made it to the concept phase.

There are a few things that control hose synthesis; hose type, hose segment part
type, segment orientation, segment diameter, and the constraints.

I'd like a file format that defines a hose type name, and its attributes (hose
cross section segment, the oriention of the hose axis in the cross section part,
and the outer diameter of the hose).

We might also want some special condiftions for end of hose issues. e.g. flared
hose, or hose ends with special symbols on the end so we can color code the hose
ends, etc.

I'd also like to define the part types used for individual hose constraints.
Eventually I'd like to add new hose constraint types.  For example, a constraint
that says "you have to go through this point, but I don't care about the
orientation of the axis at this point."

For band synthesis, I'd like to be able to define band types: round cross
section rubber bands, square cross section rubber bands, new technic chain, old
technic chain, plastic linked tread, rubber tread.  For each type, I'd like to
define the cross section part, its orientation, diameter (if apropo), etc.

For band constraints, we need to know the part type, its diameter (or radius),
and its orientation.

Don

I don't think the above looks like stuff that goes into an LDraw file format,
unless we introduce a whole bunch of meta commands.  When it is this far off, is
it worth forcing it into the LDraw file format?  I suppose the advantage is that
people can define their hose type directly in an LDraw file and have it ported
around with it.  Hmmm...

Kevin