 CAD / 11300
Subject:
Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:06:20 GMT

The LDRAW tools (including MLCAD) are available for free download in binary form. But the source code is kept private. I’d like to offer a word of encouragement to the authors and maintainers of the code to consider opening the source code. This would allow other users who have the programming skills to submit patches to fix bugs and add features.

For more information about Open Source please see the Open Source Initiative Web site. They explain it a lot better than I can.

Imagine setting up a SourceForge instance or at least a CVS server on ldraw.org and accepting patches from all and sundry. The author/maintainer would maintain control over the project, while allowing the LDRAW tools to be a community-supported system instead of having to do all the work themselves.

Think about it ...

--Bill.

Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?

<http://www.opensource.org/ Open Source Initiative> Web site.  They explain
it a lot better than I can.

Imagine setting up a SourceForge instance or at least a CVS server on
ldraw.org and accepting patches from all and sundry.  The author/maintainer
would maintain control over the project, while allowing the LDRAW tools to be
a community-supported system instead of having to do all the work themselves.

Think about it ...

--Bill.

For the record there are a number of LDraw tools that are open source.  Here's a
(incomplete) list:
LDLite
LDGLite
LDraw Design Pad
LDList
LSynth
Mac Brick Cad

The open source initiative is great and I fully support it but the main thing
going against it is what I like to call "Open Source Snobs".  Basically these
people are a small cross section of the community that think that any program
that is not open source isn't worth their attention.  This attitude of elitism
turns me off from the open source idea a little bit simply because I feel they
these individuals are dictating to me instead of presenting thier point of view
and allow me to decide what is best.  It would be one thing if these "snobs"
were a quiet corner of the community but they seem be the most vocal and "in
your face" people out there.  I think this leaves a bad taste in the mouth of
potential converts.

-Orion (who just donned his fireproof suit)

Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?