 CAD / 11307
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:10:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Daniel Bennett wrote:
Hi.
  I like being able to say, “That’s mine that is.” about programs I write. With
open source you can say, “I started that.” Both of which I think are great
things to be able to say but personally I prefer the first one. It could just be
chance that some of the LDraw tools developers feel the same way.
You don’t have to do all the work, you chose to do all the work. That’s ware
half the enjoyment is, in doing it your self. All just my opinion of course.

Well, it depends on how you structure it.  Some open source projects have a
single developer managing it and occasional patches being sent in, while others
are more of a group effort.  I think that "That's mine that is" still applies in
the former case.

--Bill.