 CAD / 11343
11342  |  11344
Subject:
submission policy at the PT (Was: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:10:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:

[SNIP]

I am not familiar to the exact meaning of open source, but I guess it can be a
little like when you submit the dat code for a part to the PT. Suddenly you find
that it has been changed or even renamed. In almost all cases to the better, but
sometimes in a way you disagree to. (like the re-oriented studs in
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x716.dat )

I know, I know. I once stated that all my LDraw related work is public domain
and anyone can do whatever they wish with it without my explicit permission. But
I am in the process of re-thinking that policy...
/Tore

even if you re-think that policy it'll happen anyway. almost a year ago some guidelines have been posted
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=4756 about re-submitting fixes of new parts (new parts not updated ones) but unless the PT
doesn't restrict the re-submission rights to the author only now and then you'll find your parts suddenly fixed by someone other.
sad to say, but that's the way it goes.

w.