 CAD / 11320
Re: New LDraw based editor... GLIDE.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:57:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Daniel Bennett wrote:

1st off thanks for looking.

My pleasure

Second can you post some links to 3DS stuff?

3DS stands for 3D Studio, or 3DS Max, as it now is called. This was originally
an Autodesk product, now offered by Discreet.

http://www.discreet.com/3dsmax/

But what I was referring to is the file format, which has become one of the
standard ways to share 3D data between apps. And I was actually just using 3DS
as an example of a file format that, unlike POV or VRML, is oriented towards a
wide range of programs.

http://www.the-labs.com/Blender/3DS-details.html

http://www.spacesimulator.net/tut4_3dsloader.html

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lib3ds/

Info on a bunch of file formats

http://thorkildsen.no/faqsys/cates/formats.html

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxr/gfx/3d-hi.html

I have been thinking about animation. It was sparked by holding down the “undo”
button and watching my model spin around. This is a most probably but much later
feature. Animation would be an extension of the robotizise window. Which is
going to be an advanced posturing window. Meaning all the Lego joins would join
and pivot as expected. Ill need to get brick clicking working first but I’m long
way towards that already in version 0.8A. I called it robotisize because it will
use some robotics algorithms used for positioning robot arms.

Cool. I'm working on an include file for POVray to animate minifigs. Trust me,
you'll have fun writing that part of the code. Well, at least *testing* it ;-)

Camera/view. Version 0.8A has camera rotation about the Y axis. I’m going to add
Z rotation maybe pre-set Z angles. Mainly because I can’t see the bottom of my
models and that makes it hard to build em. Which is bad.

What I miss in most Ldraw apps is a way to freely position the camera. The one
part missing in most is the possibility to move the camera on the relative
Z-axis. That is, away from or into the subject.

Keep it up.