 CAD / 11457
Re: New LDraw based editor... GLIDE.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 19:05:26 GMT

Dan wrote:

Hi
I agree its a shame about the incomplete BFC situation. Currently I use
Two-Sided lighting in GLIDE you don't notice the performance hit because most of
the processing effort is done by the CPU at the moment. That’s what slows it
down rather than the GFX card. My Nvidia TI4200 recently cooked itself and I’m
back on an old TNT2. There is only a small difference in performance between the
two in GLIDE.

That's because most of the focus in Grahics HW the past few years has
been in texture
and shading performance, and *not* in raw polygon drawing that LCAD
makes so much
use of.

We mainly have games to thatnk for that. For the most part (especially
in fast moving
games) it's much easier to add details to a texture on a 'large' flat
polygon than it is
to refine the surfaces insto seperate polygons with seperate textures.
It's easier on
development, and it's easier to get better performance too.

In our world though with oure bricks having many sides, and generally
solid colors,
we don't have many place to use textures. Obviously they'd be useful on
printed parts,
and maybe standardizing the definaition of such things will be done soon
by the
LDraw language standards commitee.

Till the Hardware Polygon speed improves, the easiest thing to do is to
try to
figure out which polygons in a model (not necc. a brick) will never,
ever, be
seen and cull them as early as possible.

-Kyle