 CAD / 11459
Re: New LDraw based editor... GLIDE.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 15:00:14 GMT

because most of the processing effort is done by the CPU at the moment.

Possibly not the best way I could have worded it. GLIDE in its current form is
inefficient. There is some redundant sorting and a lot of list iteration that
the CPU does before it calls on OGL. This is the main speed-limiting factor.
With GLIDE as it is, a faster CPU and memory will make a bigger difference to
performance than a better GFX card.

I am aiming to create a feature rich program with a very friendly useable
interface. I can refactor / optimise after I have the features in there. A lot
of this is a learning process for me as this is my first OpenGL program. As such
I am creating solutions to problems that are not always optimal. In other cases
I have been lazy for the sake of development speed. Once a piece of code works
correctly making it go faster drops to the bottom of my todo pile. For example I
have some bubble sorts scattered around ware insertion sorts would be a far
better solution. In my opinion there is much more fun code to be written than
optimised sorts, like the (fun but pointless) explode model code “CRTL + E”.