 CAD / 11454
Re: New LDraw based editor... GLIDE. Version Alpha 0.73
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 20:00:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Daniel Bennett wrote:
Next version will be alpha 0.8.
It will have BFC compliance to fix the lighting problems or clicking bricks.
Not decided which to do first yet.
I recon about 3 weeks befor thats out.

Having written an OpenGL-based LDraw viewer (LDView), I'd like to point out that
you can't rely on parts to contain BFC information.  As time goes by, more and
more parts are BFC certified, but many aren't, and many may never be.  (I hope
that eventually all will be, but unless there's a concerted effort to update all
the old files, it isn't likely to happen.)

Fortunately, OpenGL has a fairly easy solution to the problem.  Just turn on
two-sided lighting when you don't have BFC information.  While this does slow
down the rendering somewhat (it varies on different hardware), it nevertheless
gets the job done.  It also has the advantage of being really easy, and you can
put off BFC compliance until later.

An alternate solution that works as long as you don't have specular enabled is
to use two directional lights pointing in opposite directions.  I found this to
be faster on my nVidia GeForce 3 than enabling two-sided lighting.

--Travis Cobbs