 CAD / 11355
Re: New LDraw based editor... GLIDE.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:38:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Daniel Bennett wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Miguel Agullo wrote:
Hi Dan,

This looks very good.

Seconded. I particularly like the cartoony renderering, presumably done by
increasing OpenGL's line width and not using lighting? Solve all your
mismatching normal problems by not using them! Genius

Please consider exporting to 3DS. Leocad does it, while Mlcad does not.

I've played around with available 3DS importers/exporters for other projects
and usually ended up rolling my own (it's not too hard to do a simple export)

However, lib3ds seems to be the best of the bunch and is something I wish I'd
found 2 years ago. http://lib3ds.sourceforge.net/

Camera/view. Version 0.8A has camera rotation about the Y axis. I?m • going to add
Z rotation maybe pre-set Z angles. Mainly because I can?t see the bottom • of my
models and that makes it hard to build em. Which is bad.

I use a very nice view adjuster called agviewer. Polar Rotations, Flying
mode, zooming panning, etc. Why boggle your mind thinking about gimble
lock (and friends) when Philip Winston has done the hard work already?
Google for it and you get two files agviewer.h agviewer.c.

Here's one http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~lok/teaching/comp136/basic/agviewer.cpp

Send it mouse/keyboard events and it basically jiggers your model view matrix
just before you do your drawing. Simple quick and easy. It's written for glut,
but it's v easy to hack into working on other things. I've done it for X11

Good Luck