 Trains / *20315 (-100)
  Re: MOW vehicle that I posted to Town earlier

Nice MOW car. I like how you used the hinges for the front. The hazard stripes are a nice touch. -Stefan- (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOW vehicle that I posted to Town earlier

(...) Are those little small wheels supposed to be small train wheels or road wheels? If the former, this isn't a highrailer, I don't feel, as highrailers have both road and rail wheels. If the latter, they're awfully small for road wheels. I'd want (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: DCC and the future

(...) They will, but in small steps. From all the talks by Brad Justus and the progress made so far I seriously doubt LEGO will ever do a DCC system. AFOL's are simply too small a market. We'll be lucky to get one or two new pieces of track if you (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  MOW vehicle that I posted to Town earlier

If you haven't seen it already, take a look at this MOW vehicle. It is a highrail built from a photo and a couple of design specs I found on the manufacturer's website (now forgotten) (URL) my lack of rail wheels. I haven't bought Gringott's Bank (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: DCC and the future

(...) Roger Roger. I'd be right behind you. (...) I know that there are manufacturers of the DCC receiver modules that WILL give you a price break if you buy in bulk. So some budding enterpreneur, here's your chance. Heck, if it is capital or a (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NCLTC Christmas Layout Display @ South Hills Mall - Raleigh, NC

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:... (...) Cary Clark and I were just chatting and I realized that I never posted the pictures of our layout (when it was complete) and the building event we did to benefit the Food Bank (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.loc.us.nc)

  Re: DCC and the future

Whenever this type of discussion comes up, I get so frustrated at the lack of any news on this topic one way or another. I know Lego has to keep a lid on development in order to stay competative. But.... It would be a relief if Lego would just come (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: DCC and the future

(...) And I'd get in line right behind you. I don't have the skill or time to it myself. We need someone to do to the Train component market what John Barnes' HiTechnic has done for the Mindstorms sensor market. -Greg K (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: DCC and the future

(...) If they come out with a DCC solution, then they're compatible. If they come out with a different solution, I might ignore it. It would depend on how their solution compared to DCC. DCC is an industry standard and non-proprietary, so a (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  DCC and the future

One of the reasons I haven't taken on converting my Lego trains to DCC is because I have this hope (faint though it is) that TLC will come out with a DCC solution. If they did, what would the level of compatibility be with the current crop of (...) (22 years ago, 16-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  German BR211 LDRAW files and instructions done

Well I promised these LONG ago, but only just got around to finishing them. They're up now at (URL) under the BR211 menu entry. (22 years ago, 15-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  MichLUG Logo contest deadline approaching

Deadline for this contest is tomorrow, the 15th. (it's not exactly a "build" contest but it is a contest!..) Members of MichLUG have donated to stand for a prize of 40 USD of current LEGO sets (of the entrant's choice) to the entrant submitting the (...) (22 years ago, 15-Dec-02, to lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.michlug)

  Re: Basic Train Electrical Questions

I wrote an artive on powersupplies some time ago. Find it on www.hot.ee/sonnich/lego/ under modifications. There are link to 2 other pages describing that, electrical details and power changes. BR Sonnich Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in (...) (22 years ago, 14-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Basic Train Electrical Questions

(...) Frank, I'm cross-posting this to .faq. That's the best way to bring to my attention something that needs to be added. Thanks Cary (...) (22 years ago, 14-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Basic Train Electrical Questions

(...) Might add these indeed.... (...) But they will run slower than normal and with less power. Which isn't surprising since the 7VA limit is quite low. One motor uses 250 mA according to LEGO Train depot website. Two motors = 0.5 Amps => 4.5VA on (...) (22 years ago, 14-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Basic Train Electrical Questions

Do we have the answers to these in the FAQs? This question comes up alot... (...) Hmm, I haven't done pull tests, but we've successefully run at least 4 motors on a single controller without overheating. (...) I'm not sure using a larger wall wart (...) (22 years ago, 14-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Some more mutilation concepts

Very cool idea. I would love to see some ABS examples! (22 years ago, 13-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.arch)

  Some more mutilation concepts

The Brick-brick mutilation is based on a repetitive masonry pattern on the side of a 1x4 brick. The 1x4's can either be staggered (crossing lines when stacked) or vertically stacked. If staggered then a 1x2 is needed as well for the ends. Also if (...) (22 years ago, 13-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.arch)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) I too have posted the NGLTC container instructions on our web site: (URL) it only took me a few minutes to create the container in ML-CAD, I wasn't as lucky getting L-Pub to work on my office machine, so Mike was kind enought to run the file (...) (22 years ago, 13-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SCLTC Closes Out 2002 Display at the SDMRRM

If you are in Southern California and can make it to Balboa Park in San Diego, be sure to check out the SCLTC Layout at the San Diego Model RailRoad Museum. It's on public display for another 2 weeks, we've had to change our teardown date due to (...) (22 years ago, 13-Dec-02, to lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains.org.scltc, lugnet.org.us.lugola)

  99.9% Lego solution to remote switch ( aka points) control!

There are lots of good ideas out there for remoting the 9V train points so here is mine to add to the list: Attach a short length of string to the movable points bit and run the string out through a hole in the rail, attach the string to the shaft (...) (22 years ago, 13-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Basic Train Electrical Questions

(...) Beginner. I have ~500 sq foot for Lego, and it goes through another 100 or so to gain elevation...It covers 2.5 layers in the space, with a large staging yard made of 4.5V track to store excess stock. Seriously, it depends on how much you (...) (22 years ago, 12-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Basic Train Electrical Questions

(...) 2 is the max with the default powersupply. (...) Won't harm the engines, but possibly damages the controllers. Not recommended. Better is to replace the wall outlet power supply by a heavier one, the controller can handle a larger amount of (...) (22 years ago, 12-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cool Idea

"Nate Jacobs" <njelmo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:H6yyrt.LKL@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) making (...) size, (...) it (...) provided. (...) I have posted the instructions for the NCLTC container on our web site: (URL) need (...) (22 years ago, 12-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Oooh.. even better. I had just figured on sending out the same one as before so only new clubs would want one but ya, we can go whole hog and do a second design too. (the logistics of tracking who is new and who isn't and only sent in a delta (...) (22 years ago, 12-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H6yyM6.Kux@lugnet.com... (...) or (...) (drvegetable@attbi.com) (...) container (...) the (...) to (...) more (...) Me too. NCLTC is in if there is a second round. In fact, I was (...) (22 years ago, 12-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Basic Train Electrical Questions

Hi All, I've had a HUGE town display with train, monorail, etc.; but am now curious about some issues. For instance... How many motorized engines can be hooked together to maximize power, but not over-burden the controller? Can you hook up more than (...) (22 years ago, 12-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cool Idea

I have to agree with Larry, in that the "charm" of the swap is the physical containers as well as the stickers, and knowing that the container itself traveled a great distance to be included in the layout. Plus I like getting stuff in the mail, even (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

I am trying to make arrangements to be at BW. Waiting on a miracle in the funds dept. (Also looking for volunteers on this subject!) I'd say we make the instructions for the containers available to the clubs that want to participate, or give them (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Thanks for the laugh! JOHN (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Great idea. I'll be at both this year, I think, and with notice, can bring the right number of containers to swap. While this may not cover EVERY club it gets a lot of the way there for essentially zero delta cost. Hats off to J2 (or is it (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

How about planning swaps around Brickwest and Brickfest events? Rob "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H6yyM6.Kux@lugnet.com... (...) or (...) (drvegetable@attbi.com) (...) container (...) the (...) to (...) more (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Target My Own Trains Clearance

I posted this to market.shopping this morning but I didn't think to cross post it here: (URL) about that. Matt (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) I like this idea, Nate. It could be facilitated through the ILTCO web site when it gets going. In the mean time, let me offer this service to newer LTCs who missed out on the container swap (or any other LTC, for that matter). I could provide (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Here is a possible solution: Create an online depository for all the LTC or LUG logos used in the making of containers. Then include with each logo a dat file or some other means of describingthe specifications of the containter. eg. color (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) I'd prefer that a second great swap be organised instead of onsies/twosies as it's loads more efficient. (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Steve, you are one wild and crazy guy (bet you never heard *that* before!;-) I have all of the images, so it would be simpler for all if I just beamed them to you (with some extras that nobody else got in the swap). Contact me off-line. -John (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) <snip> (...) Chris, Not to sound ungrateful for your offer, but I still think it would be easier to collect electronic versions of the container images. That way we wouldn't have to ship stuff around. Each LUG or LTC could just print out the (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Not all the stickers are a single image but this nevertheless seems a good idea. Thanks for offering! However a lot of the charm here is that each group had a different spin on how exactly they built their container. All the containers look (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Shaun is correct. This was a one-time container swap organized and administered by KK Quah of GFLTC. There have been a few new clubs to appear since then that have requested "in" on this. So here goes: If any train club would like to exchange (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.org.us.indylug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Actually, we are doing a layout (Indianapolis GATS show in January) and it has a container yard. I think Thomas is asking whether or not we can do all the nifty container logos that the NELUG guys have done, but I'm not sure. Thomas? If you (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  NELUG at First annual Sleigh Bell Festival / Festival of Trees in Boston MA

Followups to org.us.nelug NELUG participated in the first annual Sleigh Bell Festival in Boston Massachusetts from 12/06/02 - 12/08/02. This event included a Festival of Trees to benefit The National Kidney Foundation and in particular children with (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Video of Our Caboose Ride

(...) It's great to see your club interacting with 'The Big Stuff'. Not only are trains my hobby...they're also my life too (since last January) when I hired out with CSX as a trainman. It's an awesome responsibility, but it's also much fun too. (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Video of Our Caboose Ride

We actually rode in the locomotive as well. *grin* The video is 4MB large. Thanks to John1 for staying behind to video us. (URL) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cool Idea

(...) Is what doable? If you're asking whether a crane can be balanced/attached sturdily enough to pick up a container that has a 2x2 round with lifteye on the top, I'd say the answer is yes... I've done it and the pictures show that NELUG did it. (...) (22 years ago, 11-Dec-02, to lugnet.org.us.indylug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  My first passenger coach: A rough draft

Behold: My fledgling passenger cars! (URL) (22 years ago, 10-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Painting Wheels?

Because of the lack of large train wheels, I'm thinking of painting old red and white large spoked wheels black and or grey for a few MOC's I've started. My question, it there a specific paint that I should use? I prefer something that is easily (...) (22 years ago, 10-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ambassador Cars, 8 wide style

(...) you'll (...) ok - the containers are nice, but this one is really sweet! (URL) your brickshelf galleries are always worth a visit. The buildings, the rolling stock and Ross' folder as well. Keep on bricking! Ben (22 years ago, 10-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Pictures from the festival of trees

(...) Did! (very much) Thanks for sharing! Most enjoyable I think is the Dunkin Donuts with the parking lot jam packed full of police cars. (22 years ago, 10-Dec-02, to lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

Concur with James, I was hesitant about the play area but it worked very well. Kids got to build and we got more time to discuss the club and layout with adults while their kids were occupied. Matthew Greene MSLTC/CARLUG (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Ambassador Cars, 8 wide style

(...) A very good one, in fact: (URL) at our show this weekend, we saw these very cars out of the window all day! (...) Well, I'm still experimenting, but I have to say that, so far, it has been pretty straight forward. The ones you see are plain (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Ambassador Cars, 8 wide style

(...) Ya, they'd show how out of proportion your cars are. :-) (...) Do you have a prototype ref for those blue/red BN heralds? As I understood it, those are used by the trucking company (subsidiary? not sure) rather than the railroad, which tended (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) I'e been to a few larger layouts (HO and O scale) that are permanently housed in buildings in the greater Southern Ontario area. Since most of these are strict "Club Only" layouts, there are no barriers. THe exception for most of these clubs (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) At OMSI, PNLTC has the play area right in front of the layout which works well. It makes it easier to keep an eye on the play area (about the only thing I ever did was ask the kids to share a little better). We also tried a kid controlled loop (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: GMLTC Caboose/Locomotive Rides

(...) caboose (smaller in size): (URL)Container cars out, had to modify John2's design so that they would run over (...) Ah, my subtle ribbing sense is tingling! It's true that the containers needed to be modified to run on the GMLTC layout. Not (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Ambassador Cars, 8 wide style

Here are some pictures of the GMLTC/TCLTC new ambassador cars-- I think you'll see why we didn't want you all sending us your containers! (URL) are just some quick shots from the show; I'll post more detailed pics of the actual cars themselves later (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: I'm BAAACCKKK!!!

(...) Good to see you're back, now that you've made it through basic (as an E2, no less)...you can get back to building those trains! -Harvey (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  GMLTC Caboose/Locomotive Rides

I will update the website later tonight, these are the first pass. (URL) settled again after a weekend at the Jackson Street Roundhouse. When John 1 and I get together, we'll have the video of the GMLTC taking over the caboose and switcher and (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: reverse loops & block control

(...) Since I had a few enquiries about the system, I scanned the pages and put them up on my webserver (URL) in dutch but the electronic freaks among you should be able to understand it. -- Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree | (URL) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New train poll

(...) Could you find any pictures on the net? I've never seen a train that looks anything like the MOT wheel arrangments; certainly not the castle class locomotive from Harry Potter. Jason J Railton (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) I remember when I was a kid and had walked into a model RR shop...how the seemingly crusty old owner had warned me not to touch dem' trains. Of course most kids today have half-a$$ed parents who never did learn to respect other's property (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  I'm BAAACCKKK!!!

3 months of USMC boot camp overwith, & straight to Legoland I went, now, I'm back online, & back to the LEGO!! I have alot of catching up to do, if you need to contact me, send it to shi_web@hotmail.com. Josh (PFC BAAKKO) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) Wow. I'm apalled at that parent's lack of respect for your efforts. I would have set them straight that you are not working for LEGO and that the display represents the hard work of a group of private individuals. They don't let you touch the (...) (22 years ago, 9-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) Good point, whenever little ones try to touch the layout and I have to "correct" them, I always end my statement with "we have a play area over here and you can touch all you want"...this sends them heading right for the play table with a (...) (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

"Ted Michon" <ted@michon.com> wrote in message news:H6toDM.C7@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) [ ... snipped ... ] This is a good reason to have a play area. You keep the hands off your layout but still let people touch bricks. Play (...) (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: New train poll

(...) ROSCO (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) I'm thinking it would be fun to add answers (ala Jeopardy, without the questions) to the backs of our business cards. They might include: More than 100,000, less than 500,000 About 3 months 16 people from 4 counties At Target for $99 We don't (...) (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: NGLTC Festival of Trees Setup is complete

Our display turned up in the Festival of Trees picture in the Atlanta Journal: (URL) (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

We go with the "Make Conan an offer!" answer to the "How much is it worth?" question. We've had a few qualifing offers, but it turns out most 8 year olds can't write checks. The numbers at the Minnesota Transportation Museum were up to 400 (...) (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) A few of my favorite answers to common questions: "A lot of people a lot of time." "About three-point-seven zillion pieces." "I don't even want to think about how much it cost." And of course, the ever-popular: "No, we don't work for LEGO." (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

"No we did not glue them together!" Paul SCLTC (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

PNLTC checking in... OMSI is a small show due to venue (and by choice) so the pics will be underwhelming compared to other BIG shows this weekend. All the same, we had lots of fun spreading the word... "Yes! Matter of fact since the 1960s." You all (...) (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:H6qqo9.JtK@lugnet.com... (...) week! (...) NCLTC has a layout on display for the month of December at South Hills Mall in Raleigh. This afternoon we set up our play area and collected food to benefit (...) (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

John, Add GFLTC to your list... Seasonal Sensations at the Pinewood Cultural Park, December 7, 2002... Here are some pictures! I say, not a bad layout for a one day show... (URL) week it's SMRC Model Train Show at the Manatee Civic Center in (...) (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) Bring it on, baby... I can hardly wait to see the pics. PS if all goes well mine will be on display again at our show the last weekend of the year, and it will be (slightly) bigger, as it won't be up against a wall and will need a back... (22 years ago, 8-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: reverse loops & block control

Hello John, hello everybody, (...) And for sure it can be used for block control. The whole idea of block control is that you can have more than one train running on a single track without having them ever crash. As the name block control suggests, (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

Looking forward to the pix. Next weekend Dec. 14 & 15 we will be showing at GATS Memphis, come see what a real mountain should look like. (nothing but love Larry). Matthew Greene (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) You should add NELUG to the list as well. We are running our 10' x 20' train layout at the Festival of Trees fundraiser for the American Kidney Foundation at the Hynes Auditorium in Boston. This is essentially the same layout that we ran at (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: reverse loops & block control

(...) There are various block control systems, originally designed for model railroaders that do NOT require alterations to the motor blocks. I have a huge article here about one such system, designed for a dutch modelrailroad magazine called (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New train poll

(...) I was watching a movie set in Europe yesterday and I realized one of the reasons they were so willing to go along with that was because that is how some British trains look. They look like they're set on a baseplate, as opposed to the seperate (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

(...) *an* historic... <GDR> :^D -Tim This has been another random attack of the Grammar Police. Please resume your normal activities. Nothing more to see here. (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Prolific Upcoming Weekend!

This could be a historic weekend for number of LTC showing at one time! I count: GMLTC PNLTC NCLTC SCLTC NGLTC NILTC Now *that's* impressive! Brace yourselves for the flurry of pics next week! Good luck to everyone! -John (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.lego.direct)

  NILTC Show This Weekend - Cantigny Park in Winfield

Hey Everybody - Well, in my (excruciatingly) busy schedule, I accidentally neglected one of my duties -- announcing the next NILTC show. So, here goes: This weekend, the Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club will be displaying at Cantigny Park in (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.loc.us.in)

  Re: reverse loops & block control

Hi Esger. I am sure some folks would recommend DCC for a newly laid out complex network but as far as I can see this is almost impossible with the 12v system due to the problem of opening the motors and fitting the decoder inside. I have played (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  reverse loops & block control

Hi all, I'm currently working on making a train layout again since a very long time. (From the preliminary sketches it's already been decided I'm going to clear out my attic to make room ;) ) I am aiming for something a bit more interesting than (...) (22 years ago, 7-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New train poll

(...) My point was that it would be a relatively simple exercise, as opposed to something a bit more complicated like designing functioning crossing lights for instance. Although again, if TLC's design team doesn't try and reinvent the wheel every (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: New train poll

Short reasoning behind my vote: 1. Steam engine wheels. I posted about this before. The 'My Train' and the HP train look ridiculous: top half steam train, bottom half diesel. Just look at 7750.... 2. 6-wheel train motor. Same story: to make more (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: New train poll

(...) Yea, they could also ask lionel to put a couple studs on the tops of their trains and call them LEGO... While I truly appreciate the various models folks come up with, I really don't want to see TLC put effort into things like more American (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: New train poll

(...) High on my list that isn't a choice would be another design for the wheels. It got to the point for us (my son and I) where we needed to make our own design. A TLC solution would be much more effective and so simple to do. With only a few (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: New train poll

(...) 1 steam engine wheels (a small number of parts would make a whole range of nice models much easier to build) 2 new structures (model railroads are more than just track and trains) 3 working signals etc. (accessories are always fun) 4 small (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: New train poll

You missed one... *Bring back the track connector that can be purchased separately! -Rob "Harvey Henkelman" <Ferroequus@webtv.net> wrote in message news:H6o8FB.FH7@lugnet.com... (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Train Track Gauge at Legoland California?

(...) [snip] (...) Correct, the trains are no longer fully compatible. I suppose Playmo still uses the gauge I, but they do no longer use LGB track, but cheap full plastic parts. The trains are nowadays RC-controlled and battery driven. May have (...) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  New train poll

My first too... (URL) (22 years ago, 6-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Train Track Gauge at Legoland California?

(...) the (...) I'm guessing here, but something like 2.5" gauge. However, your plan will not work. The trains are of a fixed length, with drawbars and metal underframes. Somewhere around here I have a photo of one of them...and the boxcar had been (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Track Gauge at Legoland California?

(...) Cool! I did not know that, Ben! Yes, gauge 1 track is utilized by Playmobil (was?) and LGB. The correct scale for gauge 1 (assuming standard gauge of 4' 8 1/2") is 1:32. LGB's scale is 1:22.5, so anytime LGB produces a US prototype that runs (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Track Gauge at Legoland California?

(...) the (...) out? (...) Hi John, maybe it is the same in California, but in LL Guenzburg there are two gauges. Interestingly the narrow gauge track is a standard LGB-track. Same as used by Playmobil as well. (URL) that Gauge I? The 'normal' gauge (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Train Truck (bogie) Design

(...) Black is easy to photograph. What's hard to photograph is high contrast. Putting something black on a white background is high contrast. Try photographing it against a dark background. The camera should adjust the contrast and it will turn out (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Train Track Gauge at Legoland California?

(...) Will do. Thanks, Jake! (...) lol:-) -John (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Track Gauge at Legoland California?

(...) John, if you email me a list of questions you would like answered, I will be happy to pass it on to the LL folks and hopefully can get some answers. Who knows maybe we can convince them to run some of your 16 wides during BW! :) Jake --- Jake (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Train Track Gauge at Legoland California?

Does anyone know (or bothered to measure) the distance between the rails of the Legoland California trains? Would anyone planning a trip to LLC in the near future be willing to hop the fence and measure? :-) If not, I will do so myself at BricksWest (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact