 Trains / 18624
Re: reverse loops & block control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 01:20:20 GMT

Hi Esger.

I am sure some folks would recommend DCC for a newly laid out complex
network but as far as I can see this is almost impossible with the 12v
system due to the problem of opening the motors and fitting the decoder inside.

I have played around with 12V stuff and have used the following for
reversing loops.  I isolate most of the loop and feed it through a bridge
rectifier from the main line, this means a train can only go around the loop
in one direction. I isolate a further short section of track near the exit
end of the loop and feed this through a single diode so that this section is
only energised when the main track polarity is such that the train can exit
the loop.  I hope I made that clear.  With this configuration a train can
enter the loop and provided the main line voltage is reversed while the
train is passing over the 'rectified' section it will exit the loop and
continue down the main track.  If the operator fails to reverse the polarity
the train will enter the short section and stop.

I have found that glass encapsulated reed switches laid between the
conductor rails are activated by the coupling magnets and although I have
not tried this I assume it could be used to automatically reverse the
voltage while the train is on the rectified section.