 Trains / 18616
Re: Train Track Gauge at Legoland California?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 06:28:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes: • [snip]
Cool!  I did not know that, Ben!  Yes, gauge 1 track is utilized by Playmobil
(was?)

Correct, the trains are no longer fully compatible. I suppose Playmo still
uses the gauge I, but they do no longer use LGB track, but cheap full plastic
parts. The trains are nowadays RC-controlled and battery driven. May have
better play value for kids though...

and LGB.  The correct scale for gauge 1 (assuming standard gauge of 4' • 8
1/2") is 1:32.  LGB's scale is 1:22.5, so anytime LGB produces a US prototype
that runs on standard gauge, it looks a little funny.

In fact that's the case. Even worse is the German high speed ICE train. That
one on same track as narrow gauge steam engines (and with same speed) is
somewhat rediculous.

But LGB's scale looks
really good if you are modeling a narrow gauge...

Yes, I love those. Especially the ones that are modelled after the 'Harzbahn'.
I live only 80 km north of that small narrow gauge train line that leads up to
the highest Harz mountain (the 'Brocken' - over 1000 meters higher than the
plain around).
Since it is basically for tourists, they are still operating small, but
quite impressive steam engines.

Regards,

Ben

Request Followups To:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
(Are LGB and Playmo 'Clones' to Lego trains?)