 Trains / 18661
Re: Basic Train Electrical Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 09:05:18 GMT

I wrote an artive on powersupplies some time ago.
Find it on www.hot.ee/sonnich/lego/ under modifications.

There are link to 2 other pages describing that, electrical details and
power changes.

BR
Sonnich

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Do we have the answers to these in the FAQs? This question comes up
alot...

Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:

Justin Pankey wrote:
Hi All,  I've had a HUGE town display with train, monorail, etc.;  but • am
now curious about some issues.  For instance...

How many motorized engines can be hooked together to maximize power, • but not
over-burden the controller?

2 is the max with the default powersupply.

Hmm, I haven't done pull tests, but we've successefully run at least 4
motors on a single controller without overheating.

Can you hook up more than 1 controller to a track for added power • without
harming the engines?

Won't harm the engines, but possibly damages the controllers. Not
recommended. Better is to replace the wall outlet power supply by a
heavier one, the controller can handle a larger amount of current. That
way up to 4 train engines can be powered.

I'm not sure using a larger wall wart gets you much, but I'm not
familiar with all the guts. I'm guessing that the overload protection is
current based though, which means a larger wall wart doesn't help.

Connecting the outputs of two controllers has almost no risk. A real
power supply (idealized as a constant voltage supply) always has
resistance in series with the power supply. This resistance means you
never have a real short. Besides, if too much current started to flow
(because you had the two controllers set to opposite extremes of the
output range), the overflow protection would kick in.

Frank