 Trains / 18664
Re: DCC and the future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:01:25 GMT

Steve Martin wrote:

One of the reasons I haven't taken on converting my Lego trains to DCC is
because I have this hope (faint though it is) that TLC will come out with a
DCC solution.

If they did, what would the level of compatibility be with the current crop
of homebrew Lego DCC solutions?  In other words, if I convert my stuff over,
will it be forward compatible?

If they come out with a DCC solution, then they're compatible. If they
come out with a different solution, I might ignore it. It would depend
on how their solution compared to DCC. DCC is an industry standard and
non-proprietary, so a proprietary system from LEGO would have to offer
some pretty steep advantages (and sadly, I suspect price would not be
one of them).

I seriously doubt they will come out with a solution which isn't DCC. I
don't really expect them to come out with a solution at all. DCC isn't
necessary for their target market, and is really only desired by a small
niche market.

What I hope for in this and several other things is for LEGO trains to
become large enough to attract the attention of one of the model
railroading manufacturers. If Kadee came out with a brick which let you
use their O scale couplers I'd buy a bunch of them. If they came out
with a magnet designed to either mount under LEGO track (with studs on
the top) or to mount on the LEGO track ties (tubes on the bottom), I'd
buy them. If they didn't, I'd glue magnets to plates or tiles and be
happy. If someone sets up a shop to convert LEGO motors to DCC control,
I'd probably start buying.

Frank