 Trains / 18669
Re: DCC and the future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:57:42 GMT

Bryan Kinkel wrote:
Whenever this type of discussion comes up, I get so frustrated at the lack
of any news on this topic one way or another.

I know Lego has to keep a lid on development in order to stay competative.

But....  It would be a relief if Lego would just come out and say:
a) Yes, we hear your desire for automated train solutions and we are
planning new products along those lines.

- or -

b) No, the market is too small. Don't hold your breath for anything new. Be
happy that you got the My Own Train and Sante Fe. (And grab the MOT cars at
Target while they last...)

The extensive photos of the automated points and railway lights in
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1980/c80eutr/index.html
always facinated me as a child. And I'm still holding out hope that Lego
will eventually release automated products for the 9V Train System.

Lego Direct has been very good to the Train product line and I hope they
continue to expand it.

They will, but in small steps. From all the talks by Brad Justus and the
progress made so far I seriously doubt LEGO will ever do a DCC system.
AFOL's are simply too small a market. We'll be lucky to get one or two
new pieces of track if you ask me.

OTOH there are so many good commercial systems which LEGO will never be
able to top I see no reason for LEGO to do something like this, apart
from the trouble of building in an engine decoder.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net