 Trains / 18675
Re: DCC and the future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:03:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Martin writes:
One of the reasons I haven't taken on converting my Lego trains to DCC is
because I have this hope (faint though it is) that TLC will come out with a
DCC solution.

Most arguments for and against DCC have been given here in this thread and
others before, so I just wanted to mix in with my worst case scenario. (Is the
expression 'drawing the devil on the wall' known in English language?)

Worst thing that could happen (in my personal opinion) would be a change to a
new cheap track system of 100% plastic with battery driven trains. These could
be easiely RC-controlled.

It would be no effort to do a modular design to add automated funktions like
signals, points etc (as much as frequencies are free - the big RC-driven car
has only 3 frequencies to choose). That would be a solution like Playmobil
found for its train series some years ago. Stop metal rails, transformer,
power pick-ups and metal wheels - but do everything in plastic). Really cheap
for beginners (even RC is not urgently needed), but lots of play value
for a track layout with some more locos and more track.

IF that happened I certainly would do not a change to a new system once more.

So my hope is only to get some short track sections (to be mixed into
curved sections to 'simulate' a bigger curve radius) and of course big drive
wheels.

I would be more than lucky with that. New points and a new radius of curved
track would be appreciated of course! But please keep things basically as they
are....

If they did, what would the level of compatibility be with the current crop
of homebrew Lego DCC solutions?  In other words, if I convert my stuff over,
will it be forward compatible?

I think the chances for that are really low. I am convinced, IF TLC does a DCC
system it would be their own.

Regards,

Ben
(www.FGLTC.org)