 Trains / 18686
Re: DCC and the future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:23:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan writes:
How does DCC work with reversing loops ?

Reversing loops are accommodated in DCC
The DCC combined power and control signal is a form of alternating current
so it is possible to reverse the connections to a section of track without
changing the behaviour of the trains.

In DCC systems that I know of there is a section of track in the reversing
loop that is isolated from the main track.  This isolated section is also
fed the DCC power and control signal which will either in in-phase or
out-of-phase with the section the train is coming from.  As the train moves
from an out-of-phase section onto the isolated section the controller senses
an apparent short circuit which it attempts to resolve by reversing the
polarity of the signal to the reversing loop this removes the apparent
short.  The trains don't car about polarity.