 Trains / 18689
Re: DCC and the future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 20:26:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Hill writes:
<buncha good stuff>

Do we have enough info to do a FAQ? Does someone want to take a crack at it?
Tom Cook's site has a lot of good DCC info too I think.

I guess we have enough information, I am certainly willing to contribute to
the extent of my limited experience.

Thanks for volunteering! But it would be better if more people volunteered
as well, it's a bit of work.

How does one 'do an FAQ'?

off the top of my head (but see also http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ/FAQ/)

Well the easiest (for you) way is to trundle through the forum and find all
the relevant posts, then compose a post here and copy lugnet.faq, giving
reference to al the posts. That is sort of asking Cary to take on doing it.
meaning it's the hardest way for Cary, he has to do a lot of sifting etc.

Better is to do the same research but structure what you find into a series
of questions and answers about DCC, post that and seek
buyin/clarification/corrections, once people are happy, cross post to
lugnet.faq. This is more work for you but less for Cary I think, as it's a
bit more predigested.

Best might be is do the above, but then you yourself slung all the FTX code
together yourself once a particular answer seemed to gel (or as you went along)

I crossposted to FAQ so Cary will see this and comment... but left FUT set
back to trains.

There are a couple of good sites showing how to modify the trin motor, I
don't know if I have seen Tom's.

this is Tom's site

http://www.lgauge.com/homepage.htm

click on trains then DCC implementation.

Note that supposedly you can run one unmodified motor, but it's rather noisy
voltage (changes a lot) so I dunno about how well it would work. Note
however that what the speed regulator puts out seems to be pulse width
modulated IIRC.