 Trains / 18683
Re: DCC and the future
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:59:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:

I have very limited knowledge of DCC but in a nutshell my understanding is
that with DCC forward on a controller will always make the engine move
forwards, right?

Yes, thats right, no matter which way the loco is facing on the tracks
'forwards' is always forward.

In order to do this only a LEGO train one needs to modify the train motor,
right?

Yes, the only Lego component to be modified is the train motor.

What is a decorder?
The decoder is a small electronic circuit that has to be mounted on or in
the train motor.

Will I be able to use the old speed regulator or is
this decorder taking over that function?

Unfortunately the old speed regulator will not be much use for running trains.

Plus could I still run multiple
engines on 1 track?

Yes, and not only multiples on the one track but you can control the speed
of each independantly.  They can ever be going in opposite directions.

You mention the occasional fired decorder?  How does this happen?

I have converted about 10 or 12 Lego trains to DCC and had one failed
decoder which the supplier cheerfully replaced with no question asked.  I
don't know if I made a mistake or was just unlucky.

In addition to the decoder that is mounted on each train you need a control
station, this unit has an individual 'throttle' control for each train on
your layout or some means of sharing one or more throttle controls among all
your trains.  In addition to the throttle control there may be direction
(i.e. reversing) controls and one or more other controls to handle things
like lights.

Depending upon the size of your layout and the number of trains you may need
a 'power station'.  As far as I can tell this is just a current applifier
that can put out about 8 amps at 12 volts.

Under DCC all track sections are joined together and all rails have full
power on them all the time.  The power station supplies this power and the
controller adds the control signal to the track current.  Each train decoder
has it's own address so that the controller can do things like command a
particular train to stop, start, lights on/off etc etc.  Each train decoder
only responds to commands that are addressed to it specificially.

With power on all the time the lights glow at full brilliance while the
train is stopped, trackside lighting can be powered from the track, you can
mount a decoder to control points (i.e. 'switches'), turntable, even cranes
or whatever your imagination can manage in Lego.

You might have guessed, I am a fan of DCC and Lego.  It is expensive to get
started on as the decoders (which you need the most of) are probably beyond
the capabilities of most hobbyists to build.

I am working on a power station and trying to develop software so that I can
drive the power station from a PC.  My aim is to have a few trains running a
pre-programmed sequence with a couple of manual controls for the 'hands on'
component.