 Robotics / RCX / *6855 (-100)
  How to find maximum available memory for datalog, power consumption and sensor wire length?

Hi there, I'm preparing to write a log program to store temperature values in the datalog. After some experimenting and familiarizing with the datalog associated functions I've found the following: Using CreateDatalog(x) with x being a constant and (...) (22 years ago, 30-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Use built-in Ir instead of IR-Tower?

Hi! i have a sub-notebook without any com-ports so i can't use my IR-Tower. But the built in IR is reachable over com5 (btw: i'm working with cygwin). so i changed dll to com5 (export...) but now i get the error(when dll'ing): Error 21: sending (...) (22 years ago, 29-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Instructions for building DJGPP H8300 cross compiler

The following are instructions I am using for building the Hitachi H8300 cross compiler for the DJGPP environment. Please read through the entire message before proceeding. Download the following DJGPP/GNU packages from www.delorie.com or one of its (...) (22 years ago, 29-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: some more questions about lnp.

The frequency of the RCX's IR does not change at all: " The RCX uses a 38kHz carrier, which is pretty typical for TV remotes. As for the sampling rate, the RCX runs at 2400 bps, which makes each bit approx 417us " (URL) think the only way you could (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: some more questions about lnp.

duh... guess i was kinda wrong here.. IR is in reality a frequency defined from A to B. any messages sent within this spectre is said to be IR messages. so in theory sending an IR message closer to A than B from one RCX. and at the same time sending (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Watch Dog Timer on the H8 - Working!

Well, after browsing through the H8 reference another, oh 20 (?), times; and some messing around; it is now working. Basically, I had declared the Control Status Register as an 8 bit value. Since this is a special register (8 bit) that requires a 16 (...) (22 years ago, 28-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Watch Dog Timer on the H8

Has anyone been able to make use of the Watch Dog Timer on the RCX? The H8 documentation seems to spell out the workings quite well. BrickOS (LegOS) has minimal support (a vector is declared for both NMI and overflow) and pbForth files list the WDT (...) (22 years ago, 27-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  some more questions about lnp.

ok, im back again with even more questions. when i created my last program using lnp on an RCX i did a mistake by setting the same port as the one im listening on and the one im sending on. this made me think. what is the reason we use two different (...) (22 years ago, 27-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Update for DJGPP version

Here is an update for my (slow) progress for creating a DJGPP compatible or port of brickOS. At this time I am solely focused on getting a cross compiler built and putting off other issues (such as tty comms, see (URL) I have tried three methods to (...) (22 years ago, 27-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

Yes, the object is to have the RCX robot monitor its own battery charge (something available to the RCX firmware, and lejos, etc..) and then when it is consistently low to drive up to some sort of home made charging station and get a boost. The (...) (22 years ago, 26-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

Hello, (...) The only problem with that is that you will have to guarantee a max. voltage of 9 or 10 V at the RCX. I don't think usual charging circuits have a voltage limit that makes sense ... Greetings Horst (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  some measurements in lnp, please comment!

hi all, i have made some measurements with lnp in legOS 0.2.4 under ideal conditions (dark room with minimal load on PC and RCX) and found that sending a 10 byte message with lnp_addressing_write averages on about 0.06136 seconds (+/- 10 ms for time (...) (22 years ago, 25-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: remote program activation

Hello Jürgen (...) Thanks, I'll check that out. (...) For the same reason as lejos allows to link/upload up to 5 different programs and the rcx has a program select button! :-) No honestly, if I have a collection of short independent programs which (...) (22 years ago, 25-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: remote program activation

Hi Kaspar, (...) sending it the remote control sequence for button P1 it will start the currently selected program (not necessarily number 1). There was a more detailed discussion about this on the lejos mailing list a while ago. It's like this (...) (22 years ago, 25-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  brickOS status update

We are continuing to update our web site. The front page contains the latest news. (URL) have pushed another round of API docs to the web. New in this version are the brickOS Kernel Developer set and new example program pages (autogenerated from our (...) (22 years ago, 25-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  remote program activation

Does anyone of you know, whether it is possible (with a special byte sequence for example) to send a command to the running LeJOS JVM on the RCX which tells it to run a certain uploaded program? Or, if not, is it maybe possible to call a program x (...) (22 years ago, 25-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

(...) Well I may sound boring, but with reflex loading they don't get hot ! Stef Mientki (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

In order to protect the RCX from any type of power problems, would it make sense to disconect the RCX from the batteries first and have it run from an alternate power supply? or would this make it too complicated? I know little about electronics, is (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Brian Bagnall writes: <snip> Are you are talking about chagring batteries while they are in the RCX? If so, what about the heat. When the NiMh batteries are chargin in a wall-wart charger they get quite warm, wouldn't you be (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

(...) For you and me, that's simple... but even procurement of parts other than plain vanilla ones may be a nightmare for someone who isn't more or less in the electronics business (At least it is here in France) (...) Thanks for the pointer. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

(...) that's true, (if you think 1 8-pins IC + 1 Mosfet is not simple) (...) Good question, I never asked my self. But it seems no problem at all, I've very bad contacts, (you can even hear and or see them sometimes when the charge process is going (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

I agree that there are much faster charging methods, but the slow one has the advantage of simplicity (this was implied in the original question)... I wonder too how to design a connector with contacts that reliably carry 4 to 10 A currents and (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

(...) Yes Brian, and read my P.S. ;-) (...) This is not necessairly true. If you use the right charge method, load time less then 15 minutes, without degrading the batteries (even with positiv effect on the lifetime/capacity) is very well possible (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Automatic RCX Battery Recharging

Some of us on the leJOS mailing list were discussing auto-battery recharging with the RCX. Here's some technical thoughts from Philipe Hurbain that might be useful to others. p.s. If anyone has anything to add to this please do. -*-*-*-*-*- I think (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: VPBRICK

(...) This should work: SetEvent(My_Event, Message(), EVENT_TYPE_MESSAGE); Dave (22 years ago, 20-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  How much current from RCX ports

I see around here, people are playing around with diffrent types of things to put on the RCX output port. Like not orginal lights, motors, bells and so on. Some even puts several motors on one port. How much current can you drain from one RCX port? (...) (22 years ago, 19-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX bell like sound

did you try Guido Truffelli's BMS, (URL) Mientki (...) (22 years ago, 19-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX bell like sound

"Michel Magnan" <m_magnan@cablerocket.com> wrote in message news:H2n7G8.Azo@lugnet.com... (...) heard (...) I tried that too. You'll NEVER hear it in a show. NEVER. Your best bet is to use the last motor port for a small bell. You can either use a (...) (22 years ago, 18-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RCX bell like sound

Hello, Is there a way to make the RCX make the sound of ringing bell, such as heard at a level train crossing? If you could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated. Thanks Michel Magnan (22 years ago, 18-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  VPBRICK

Hello! I have some questions: - (in the RCX side) How i can configure a message Event in NQC, I don't know the second parameter? SetEvent(My_Event,??..._Message); - (in the PC side to get the messages from the RCX), anybody have a sample code to use (...) (22 years ago, 18-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: How to setup gcc and make in cygwin

I had a go at those instructions then gave up after 3 weeks of trying to get them to work. "Ed Manlove" <emanlove@ieee.org> wrote in message news:H2JupE.J4w@lugnet.com... (...) most (...) no (...) for (...) my (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: How to setup gcc and make in cygwin

Actually there is a set of updated instructions for Windows with the most recent being for brickOS. brickOS is the continued development effort foe legOS. AT the request of The LEGO Group the name has changed. So the most recent information can be (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

(...) Yes, to give you even a better idea, I made a page with some of the ideas (and pictures ofcourse), see (URL) Mientki (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX <-> PC communication

(...) Kaspar, There is a bug with serial towers with RCXPort in lejos 2.0. This causes the problem you are seeing. There is a fixed version in (URL) fixes RCXPort, but I haven't put the fix in the LNP versions yet. I only have a USB Tower, and (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Pass by reference

Ralph, The second parameter to the task is a pointer to an array of pointers. Those pointers (under DOS and other OSes) normally point to parameters on the command line (string data). However, there is no reason to not use them for other data types. (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: How to setup gcc and make in cygwin

Follow these instuctions word for word: (URL) 0.2.6 in place of 0.2.4 wherever it crops up and you'll have no problems. (Well, it worked for me using Win98 so hopefully it'll work for you) "Redline" <trust@global.net.au> wrote in message (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Pass by reference

More specifically, how can you pass by reference to a thread?? I thought a thread could only take chracter arguments in an array? Thanks "Ralph Clark" <ralph.clark@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:H2HwuD.L6L@lugnet.com... (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  How to setup gcc and make in cygwin

Hi all, I've been trying to get LegOS working on my Win XP machine using the cygwin emulator but I cannot execute "Makefile"; hence I downloaded "make" from the fs foundation but I am new to this, so have no idea how to install make --- generally I (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX <-> PC communication, more details

Hi Kaspar, Thanx for the information. In the Lejos-discussion mailing list (Sept 13), Lawrie Griffiths wrote: "A timeout of 100 milliseconds or more should ensure that it reads all the bytes in one message." Looks like it confirms what you (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: RCX <-> PC communication, more details

(...) Great, I just had too much time at hand, so I could already test the hypothesis above. Great, to be able to post a followup to my own message within half an hour... Ok, here it comes: The PC __IS__ swamping the RCX when using the LNP protocol. (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  RCX <-> PC communication, more details

Thanks for the three of you (Francois, Roger and Lawrence) who have answered to my questions. I was asked to state some more details, which I'll do here: I am working under linux (SuSE 7.3) and since the linux version of java does not yet support (...) (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

just what is an RCX simulator? is it a virtual brick that resides on your computer? -tk (22 years ago, 16-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Pass by reference

Hi. Do we have pass by reference in the current version of legOS? If we don't, I'd be very grateful if anyone could give me a simple example of how to do the same thing in C using pointers and whatever. (22 years ago, 15-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX <-> PC communication

(...) Lawrie Griffiths asked me to forward the following to you: RCXPort should be about twice as fast as RCXF7Port. Do you have a serial or USB tower? I am concerned that you don't get complete reliabilty with RCXPort - I do with a USB Tower. (22 years ago, 14-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

thanks Ralf, this may be a very good starting point ;-) I'm considering to create a RCX simulator (if there isn't any), but cann't oversee how much work it is .... cheers, Stef Mientki (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX simulator ?

Look at (URL) has a simulator for the RCX. It's in beta but I saw that there is all of the sources on his page. Hope this helps ... Ralf (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX <-> PC communication

(...) I have not done any experimenting with Data Streams yet since I can get by with bytes. I have tried both the RCXPort and the RCXF7Port. The big advantage of the RCXPort using the LLC protocol is that if the RCX gets out of range or behind an (...) (22 years ago, 13-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  RCX simulator ?

hello All, I was wondering if there exists a RCX-simulator for M$-Windows ? best regards, Stef Mientki (22 years ago, 12-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: RCX <-> PC communication

Hi Kaspar, Did you compile the PC end program using javac and did you add pcrcxcomm.jar from the lejos lib directory to your CLASSPATH? Could you give some more details about your problem (what platform are you working on? complete code...)? Wap (...) (22 years ago, 12-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: small patch to build dll on linux

John, I believe I have a good solution. I ran a test both under Win98 and a forced Linux OS (set OSTYPE=LINUX in makefiles). Below is a patch file for the current CVS version of brickOS. As soon as I get confirmation that this does fix my bug I will (...) (22 years ago, 12-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  brickOS general news

We've been working on our web-site (URL) welcome comments. If you'd like to see something specific that is not already there please let us know. Development work on brickOS has been lively over the past couple of weeks. So watch for another test (...) (22 years ago, 12-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Winliblnp problems

(...) The usual method is to put the following near the top of the .h file: #ifdef __cplusplus extern "C" { #endif and the following at the bottom: #ifdef __cplusplus } #endif This eliminates the need for 2 .h files. HTH. ROSCO (22 years ago, 10-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Winliblnp problems

From: "Tim Auton" <tim.lugnet@uton.org> Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 4:07 PM (...) [snip] (...) I do, it's a namespace problem, down to you working in a C++ project and winliblnp being in C. I suggest a quick and dirty hack of creating a (...) (22 years ago, 10-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RCX <-> PC communication

Ok, here's a little something to think about: I have been testing the three communication protocol stacks of LeJOS 2.0 (josx.rcxcomm package; LLC, LNP and F7 protocols). Simple application: Array (size 20) of ints on both PC and RCX. Got both a (...) (22 years ago, 10-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Continous operation

(...) Hi Remko, So what has your RCX been doing all this time?? Just curious, ;-) Roger (22 years ago, 10-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Continous operation

(...) Not only that: it also allows for a lot of freedom in creating your own sensors and devices! I love that Mindstorms stuff! Remko "Gosh, I gotta get a life!" ;) (22 years ago, 9-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  The Grande Robotic Experiment Continues...

The webcam'bot has (mostly) been up for a few weeks straight now. (URL) people have logged in and tried it, and have e-mailed me a few suggestions--most of which I have implemented. The biggest improvement is the grabbing mechanism--now it's pretty (...) (22 years ago, 9-Sep-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.vc)

  Re: Semaphore(s) locked when task killed.

I have completed an update to solve some of the problems mentioned previously. If all goes well, I will be able to start updating the files on sourceforge within a week. More soon. // Joe (22 years ago, 9-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Continous operation

(...) SNIP (...) Thanks for the help. Sounds like the RCX works great for long periods of time. Andreas (22 years ago, 9-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  legOS 0.1.7

I need information about this version of legOS !! please send me :) nanobapt (22 years ago, 7-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Winliblnp problems

Don't get what u mean! ----- Original Message ----- From: "nanobapt" <nanobapt@nordnet.fr> To: <lugnet.robotics.rcx...ugnet.com> Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 5:49 PM Subject: Re: Winliblnp problems (...) (22 years ago, 7-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: small patch to build dll on linux

John, There is another one in $(BRICKOS_ROOT)\Make...le.common. It will below the line you comment here but I don't see any typos # # Cygwin 1.1 # ifneq (,$(findstring CYGWIN,$(OSTYPE))) What do you get when you type uname at the prompt? Ed John (...) (22 years ago, 7-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: small patch to build dll on linux

This still doesn't work for me. Can you use a similar findstring as the one in the root Makefile.common? The one that looks like this; ifneq (,$(findstring $(OSTYPE),cygwin32 cygwin CYGWIN_NT-4.0 CYGWIN_NT-5.0 CYGWIN_NT-5.1 WindowsNT Windows_NT)) J* (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Winliblnp problems

a ActiveX is easy to written with an other Comm activeX for Windows no ? nanobapt ----- Original Message ----- From: Shehryar Shaheen <shehryar.shaheen@ul.ie> To: <lugnet.robotics.rcx...ugnet.com> Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 6:31 PM Subject: (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Winliblnp problems

I am using LNP under Linux, I was referring to your suggested solution, which is both sensibly and confusingly called Winliblnp (distinct from winlnp) - a port of liblnp for Windows. I want to write robot control apps using video feedback, and my (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Winliblnp problems

To my knowledge nobody has been succesful with WinLNP! I gave up after a while and now use LNP under Linux. There was some work that somboby did which allowed the deamon to run on Linux but the LNP program could be run under windows. U could do a (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Winliblnp problems

Hi all, I recently downloaded winliblnp, the port by Michael Bunk of liblnp to windows. Exactly what I needed, thanks Michael. Unfortunately, I'm rather new to VC++ and I can't get it to compile. First, I tried compiling it on its own - no joy (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: small patch to build dll on linux

John, It looks like my patch to catch all WindowsOS broke for Linux. Ooops. I see an extra comma in there that should not be there. Could you try the following for me (or just remove the comma)? --- util/Makefile.common.old Thu Sep 5 16:51:27 2002 (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Continous operation

(...) Use software to set the "power off timer" to 0 minutes. (...) No problem: mine has been running continuously (on a 9V, 1A powersupply) for 8 months now. It gets a little warm, but nothing serious. (...) See above... Greetz, Remko (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Continous operation

Hi! I'd also like the RCX brick can operate continuously, but it'd automatically power-off after certain period of time, how to overcome this default setting for the RCX brick and make the RCX brick operate continuously until I switch it off (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Did anyone see Spybotics on Tech TV

Did anyone see this episode reviewing Spybots on TechTV? (URL) I missed it. Was the review good or bad? Cheers, Ralph (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.spybotics)

  RE: got usb tower working at quad speed under linux

(...) Sounds like you've been very busy, Chris. I would love to see the changes you have made.... Cheers, Ralph (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Continous operation

I'd like to use an RCX in an application that would require continous operation. Would the unit overheat after some time? Alternatively, I could turn the power off every night for about 10 hours, but it would then need to automatically power-up and (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Warning cleanup questions with gcc3.2

(...) Sounds ok to me. Is the TODO file a good indication of what needs to be done for a 1.0.0 release, or do you have other tasks in mind (in case I find myself with idle hands)? J* (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  got usb tower working at quad speed under linux

I've managed to get the USB tower working for quad speed downloads under linux. There were some interesting issues along the way. 1) The usb tower doesn't allow control over parity, so you have to leave it on odd. I got around this by making a new (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Warning cleanup questions with gcc3.2

(...) <snip> (...) I'd like to say not at this time. Let me explain and then let's all comment so I can see how my idea resonates with ya'll ;-) I'd like to hold off addressing the GCC 3.x issues for only this upcoming release (brickOS 1.0.0). My (...) (22 years ago, 6-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Warning cleanup questions with gcc3.2

(...) However it should be fixed, as there's no guarantee future versions of gcc will support deprecated features. ROSCO (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Warning cleanup questions with gcc3.2

(...) I am running 3.1 and got the same error. But for user programs only because a line in boot/config.h is too long. In fact this is no error but just a warning. Looks bad but the code is ok. (...) If you look at the beginning of the file (I think (...) (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  small patch to build dll on linux

I had problems on Linux with building dll from CVS. Apparently, it thought that I was running windows. The simple patch below fixes the problem for me, but I don't know if it leaves the cygwin build intact... --- util/Makefile.common.old Thu Sep 5 (...) (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Warning cleanup questions with gcc3.2

When compiling brickos with gcc3.2, I get a lot (about 360 or so) of warnings about two things; a) warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated These seem to be mostly quotes around blocks of assembly code. Some of the code in lib/mint seems (...) (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: gcc

I am running Windows XP. Should I also use the version of binutils that the install steps recommend? I was reading the post about newer version of binutils and was wondering if there are any advantages to using the newer releases. If there are (...) (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: gcc

Sam Paolo Masetti instructions, (URL) suggest downloading gcc-2.95.2 for building the cross compiler. These instructions are standard instructions for windows os. By the way which Windows OS(s) are you running on (or plan to)? Ed Samuel Winchenbach (...) (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help with Clock

(...) That's currently done in the leJOS loader (see rcx_impl/main.c), and only if no program is running. So you can't turn it off, but you don't need to turn it off either once your program is running ... Jürgen (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Semaphore(s) locked when task killed.

This has been suggested and may very well be the best way to handle manual removal of a runaway task. I plan to investigate this once I get my current updates squared-away. I hope this type of handling can be done in the kernel only. User tasks (...) (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Semaphore(s) locked when task killed.

Last night I worked on a solution to this. So far it is coming along very good. My proposed solution is to write tasks so that they shutdown when signalled. The user tasks should respond to the run/stop button by shutting down gracefully. If a task (...) (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  gcc

Hi Everyone, I just installed the latest version of cygwin, and downloaded binutils 2.12. I am wondering what version of gcc I should download, thanks. Sam (22 years ago, 5-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help with Clock

What about turning the timer off that turns the RCX power off. What would be the class and method or is it a ROM routine. Thanks, Scott (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

Have you considered implementing thread cleanup handlers? Similar to what pthread_cleanup_push and pthread_cleanup_pop provide. "Joseph Woolley" <jwoolley@spamblock....ht.rr.com> wrote in message news:H1w6v9.8M0@lugnet.com... (...) tasks. (...) task (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Semaphore(s) locked when task killed.

(...) This explains a problem I've been having. I've noticed this exact issue, but I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong, or exactly what the problem was. I have a program that sends IR messages (for proximity) and after the program is (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Beta Tester(s) wanted NQCSpeechCompiler

Hello all, I have pretty much completed my Program NQC by voice "NQCSpeechCompiler" and need one or two beta testers to test it out. Please reply privately. The background on this is as such. I was inflicted with chronic tendonitis in both arms a (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Semaphore(s) locked when task killed.

(...) hmmm I wonder what other unix like OSs do in this situation? automatically unlocking doesn't seem particuarlly clean, what is to say that it is safe to unlock the mutexes just because the locking thread has been killed? Perhaps we can (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Semaphore(s) locked when task killed.

I have found that killing a task which is sending data via lnp will cause lnp to stop functioning. Turning the brick off then on again will get lnp working again. The issue is with the semaphore(s) used in the kernel tasks. Currently there is no (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Small problem compiling w/gcc-3.2 and binutils-2.12.0 with patch.

John, Good Job, John! It seems that older version of gcc don't catch the problem. I applied the changes and it compiles fine for me; I updated CVS. // Joe "John Jorgensen" <jjorgens@2gn.com> wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.21.0...2gn.com... (...) (...) (22 years ago, 4-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Loading firmware

(...) Bruce (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Small problem compiling w/gcc-3.2 and binutils-2.12.0 with patch.

While compiling the brickos kernel under gcc-3.2 and binutils-2.12.0 I was getting errors about nb_tasks and nb_system_tasks not being te same as their declarations so I made them volatile just like in the header and the kernel now compiles. The (...) (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Help with Clock

(...) Interesting, I should browse through the classes every now and then ... One thing to note is that josx.platform.rcx is not the right place for it, as it is independent of the RCX platform (maybe josx.util ?). (...) I think it would be better (...) (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Help with Clock

(...) Here is a Stopwatch class that does the sort of thing that Jeurgen discussed in his message. You can instantiate as many stopwatches as you want to keep track of the elapsed time between different events. import josx.platform.rcx.*; /** * (...) (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java)

  Re: Legos or Lejos

(...) If you already know some Java, I recommend Lejos. It has some very reliable classes for RCX to RCX communications using Java streams. It also has some useful debugging features. Good luck, Roger (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: Loading firmware

If you;ve got the most recent versions of pbForth, and you have Active Tcl installed, then click on the rcxtk.tcl file and the pbForth console should be launched immediately. At that point, you can upload the pbForth.srec file using the (...) (22 years ago, 3-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

I am a newbie to RIS 1.0 and would like to install pbforth as my firmware and then use it as my command(programming) language. How do I get started. I have downloaded the Active State Tcl ,rcxtel, and nqc to my computer. Where do I go from here ? (...) (22 years ago, 2-Sep-02, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact