 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2827
Re: Semaphore(s) locked when task killed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:43:46 GMT

This has been suggested and may very well be the best way to handle manual
removal of a runaway task.  I plan to investigate this once I get my current
updates squared-away.

I hope this type of handling can be done in the kernel only. User tasks
shouldn't have to deal with this low-level detail.  I believe, for lnp and
memory it can be done.

// Joe

"Albert Huang" <sfitw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Have you considered implementing thread cleanup handlers?  Similar to what
pthread_cleanup_push and pthread_cleanup_pop provide.

"Joseph Woolley" <jwoolley@spamblock.insight.rr.com> wrote in message
I have found that killing a task which is sending data via lnp will • cause
lnp to stop functioning.  Turning the brick off then on again will get • lnp
working again.  The issue is with the semaphore(s) used in the kernel • tasks.

Currently there is no mechanism to track what semaphores are locked by a
task.  When killall is used to end a task (which is commonly done) the • task
will terminate prior to releasing the semaphores it has locked.

So, the question is, what is a good solution to this problem?

I tried a quick patch for the specific issue I encountered... where
program.c waits for the semaphore to be released before calling killall
(handling the run/stop button).  However, this is a poor solution since • the
task in question may have entered an infinite loop or encountered other • such
problems.

I am working on a patch that tracks the semaphores locked by a task. • kill
and killall can then release the semaphores while killing the task.
However, there may be a better solution.

// Joe