 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2856
Re: Pass by reference
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:09:08 GMT

Ralph,

The second parameter to the task is a pointer to an array of pointers.
Those pointers (under DOS and other OSes) normally point to parameters on
the command line (string data).

However, there is no reason to not use them for other data types.  So, you
can pass argc=1 and argv as &ptr_to_function; or argv as &ptr_to_structure.
Notice here that I am using '&' prior to the pointer... this equals **
(pointer to a pointer)  Better example follows:

struct temp_struct {
    int return;
};

int task(int argc, char** argv) {
    struct temp_struct* pTemp = (temp_struct*)(*argv);
    pTemp->return = 100;
}

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    struct temp_struct temp;
    struct temp_struct* pTemp = &temp;
    execi(&task, ..., 1, &pTemp, ...);
}

(I don't know the exact parameters for execi... so in the above example
argc=1 and argv = &pTemp)

I hope this helps.

// Joe

"Ralph Clark" <ralph.clark@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
More specifically, how can you pass by reference to a thread?? I thought a
thread could only take chracter arguments in an array?
Thanks

"Ralph Clark" <ralph.clark@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Hi. Do we have pass by reference in the current version of legOS?

If we don't, I'd be very grateful if anyone could give me a simple • example
of how to do the same thing in C using pointers and whatever.