 Robotics / RCX / Java / 216
Re: RCX <-> PC communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 06:47:32 GMT

Hi Kaspar,
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Kaspar von Gunten writes:

Did anybody have similar experiences or any idea what is going on here?

I have not done any experimenting with Data Streams yet since I can get by
with bytes.

I have tried both the RCXPort and the RCXF7Port.  The big advantage of the
RCXPort  using the LLC protocol is that if the RCX gets out of range or
behind an obstacle, the communication resumes when it can see the tower.
In my experiments, there is not much difference in speed.  I get about  64
single byte messages (round trip) in about 1 minute from either version.
But even with the RCX facing the tower about a foot away, reliability is
still a problem.  I have not been able to identify exactly where in my code
things go wrong, but only about half of my attempts at 64 round trip
messages are completed.
Sorry I can't shed much light on your problem.
Good luck,
Roger