 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2861
2860  |  2862
Subject:
Update for DJGPP version
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:18:15 GMT

Here is an update for my (slow) progress for creating a DJGPP compatible or
port of brickOS.  At this time I am solely focused on getting a cross
compiler built and putting off other issues (such as tty comms, see
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/legos/?n=2746). I have tried three
methods to build the cross compiler; (1) use a slightly modified version of
Paolo Masetti's build script under cygwin with host being DJGPP with GNUs
source code for binutils and gcc, (2) use a slightly modified version of
Paolo Masetti's build script under DJGPP with GNUs source code for binutils
and gcc, and (3) use a modified version of DJGPP config script
(gnu\binutl-2.121\build.djg\djconfig.sh) under  DJGPP with DJGPPs source
code for binutils and gcc. So far it apears the third method has the best
potential for producing the correct results.  Below is the status of each
method.

METHOD 1 - Use a slightly modified version of Paolo Masetti's build script
under cygwin with host being DJGPP with GNUs source code for binutils and
gcc

Binutils successfully configures and builds but when trying to build gcc
there appears to be a undesirable conflict with preproccesor defines for
cygwin enviroments. There appears to be no easy solution to fix this problem
(undefining preproer defines produces other errors)

METHOD 2 - Use a slightly modified version of Paolo Masetti's build script
under DJGPP with GNUs source code for binutils and gcc

Using the GNUs source code and the build script mentioned above cause an
error in pathnames during binutil configure.  All attempts so far to correct
this problem have failed.

METHOD 3 - Use a modified version of DJGPP config script
(gnu\binutl-2.121\build.djg\djconfig.sh) under  DJGPP with DJGPPs source
code for binutils and gcc

Using this method leads to a successful config and build of the binutils
(after a few mirror error corrections). And using a similar configure script
for gcc eventually causes unresolved errors partial shown here

SYSCALLS.c:341: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `alloca'
SYSCALLS.c:935: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `memcmp'
SYSCALLS.c:936: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `memcpy'
SYSCALLS.c:940: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `memset'
SYSCALLS.c:1334: warning: conflicting types for built-in function `strlen'
c:\djgpp\tmp\cc3wwOKe.s: Assembler messages:
c:\djgpp\tmp\cc3wwOKe.s:2: Error: no such instruction: `libgcc1 routines for
the Hitachi h8/300 cpu.'
c:\djgpp\tmp\cc3wwOKe.s:3: Error: no such instruction: `contributed by Steve
Chamberlain.'
c:\djgpp\tmp\cc3wwOKe.s:4: Error: invalid character '@' in mnemonic
c:\djgpp\tmp\cc3wwOKe.s:93: Error: invalid character '.' in mnemonic
c:\djgpp\tmp\cc3wwOKe.s:94: Error: no such instruction: `bne .L2'
... [NOTE MORE Error: invalid character '.' in mnemonic TYPE ERRORS FOLLOW]

I have posted on comp.os.msdos.djgpp about this error to no avail.

So this is where I stand with a DJGPP "port". Once again anyone interested
in this please speak up as more heads are bettter then one.  I will post
more detailed instructions about my third method here shortly.

--
Ed Manlove
emanlove@eclipse.net