 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1455
1454  |  1456
Subject:
How to find maximum available memory for datalog, power consumption and sensor wire length?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 03:47:10 GMT

Hi there,

I'm preparing to write a log program to store temperature values in the
datalog.

After some experimenting and familiarizing with the datalog associated
functions I've found the following:

Using CreateDatalog(x) with x being a constant and above a certain value
(found by experimenting), the datalog does not seem to even be created.
I found this out by writing a few values to the datalog and when
uploading to the desktop it showed no results.

This is unfortunate as there is no way to predict how much free memory
is available and be certain that the CreateDatalog function with some
constant parameter will actually successfully allot the required amount
of space.

Is there a way to equip the CreateDatalog function with a return value
that signifies the success of the memory allocation? That way an audible
alert could be emitted from the RCX brick at the beginning of the log
process to warn of a failure of the memory allocation.

Or - is it possible to find out the available memory and use an adapted
CreateDatalog function that accepts a variable as a parameter that is
based on that available memory?

Other concerns I have regarding my little project are: How long can I
expect a battery set to last when I set up the brick with one, possibly
two temperature sensors? Ideally I plan on recording readings for a
24-hour run. If this turns out to be a waste of batteries, what options
do I have to connect the brick to a DC power adapter? Attach crocodile
clips to the battery plates (which ones?)? Wasn't there a brick
available with a socket for a DC power adapter?

Also, what maximum wire length can I expect to use with a temperature
sensor to give me half-way accurate readings? I am hoping to use wires
of 10, better 20 feet. Is this feasible at all?

I don't actually have the temperature sensors yet, so cannot experiment.

Georg