 Robotics / RCX / 1794
Re: Automatic RCX Battery Recharging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:32:59 GMT

Brian Bagnall wrote:
Some of us on the leJOS mailing list were discussing auto-battery recharging
with the RCX. Here's some technical thoughts from Philipe Hurbain that might
be useful to others.

p.s. If anyone has anything to add to this please do. • Yes Brian, and read my P.S. ;-)

-*-*-*-*-*-

I think that the solution may be rather simple if you can accept a few
drawbacks.

As all batteries are serially connected, fast charging methods must be
avoided, so you have to use slow charge.`

This is not necessairly true.
If you use the right charge method, load time less then 15 minutes,
without degrading the batteries (even with positiv effect on the
lifetime/capacity) is very well possible (I already do this for more
then 10 years).
The method is called REFLEX charging.
The principle is as follows: charge with very high current (4C to 10C)
for about 1 second, discharge with 10% of the charge current (0.4C ..
1C) for a short time, then measure the voltage. Stop the whole process
when the voltage starts to rise fast.

With this charge principle it's even possible to recover completely
defective batteries.
At the moment we're even trying to load normal (non-rechargeable)
batteries with this charger. We are able to load normal batteries but
the total capacity isn't high enough.

Now the drawbacks: • This only yields for normal charging !!
- Charge is slow, 12 hours for full charge
- Battery life might be shortened, C/10 during 12 hours is fine with fully
discharged batteries, but you may be overcharging if they were not
exhausted.
- Charging serially connected batteries is not very good (some get less
charge than others, and in the long run, they will get reversed biased
during use and rapidly destroyed). I suggest removing batteries from time to
time, discharge then recharge them on a standard battery charger)

With reflex charging all these drawbacks will turn 180 degress into
advantages!!!

P.S. Brian, I didn't know where to find you, I used your beautiful RCX
picture for my simulator, Andy said it was ok. So if you've objections,
please let me know. A preview can be seen here:
http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/PIC/JALss/JALss_RCX_devices.htm

Stef Mientki