 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2835
2834  |  2836
Subject:
got usb tower working at quad speed under linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 07:22:35 GMT

I've managed to get the USB tower working for quad speed downloads under linux.
There were some interesting issues along the way.

1) The usb tower doesn't allow control over parity, so you have to leave it on
odd.  I got around this by making a new fastdlodd.s that doesn't turn off
parity, and the firmdl detects when usb is being used and uses the appropriate
fastdl version.

2) The ack after unlocking the firmware is in the long format (ie the fifth byte
is the fourth byte complemented) but also sometimes comes back with an
additional "ff" appended to it.  This required modifying the message
checksumming code in rcx_comm.c to take into account this fourth possibility.

3) I also added support in the firmdl Makefile for building and cleaning the
fastdl.h files from fastdl.s.  This allows easier user modification.

This is all based on legos 0.2.6, tested on an intel 2.4.19 kernel.  If there is
any interest, I would be happy to make my changes available.  I hope to rebase
against the latest brickos and try and get the important bits into the
mainstream for the next release.

Chris