 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2834
Re: Warning cleanup questions with gcc3.2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 02:05:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, John Jorgensen writes:
When compiling brickos with gcc3.2, I get a lot (about 360 or so) of
warnings

    <snip>

So the questions I have are; Are these backward compatible solutions? Are
they good solutions? Should I spend the time to whip up a patch that will
touch a lot of files...

    I'd like to say not at this time.  Let me explain and then
    let's all comment so I can see how my idea resonates with ya'll  ;-)

    I'd like to hold off addressing the GCC 3.x issues for only this
    upcoming release (brickOS 1.0.0).  My motivatation is two
    fold: (1) we've a lot yet to do to close out this release
    and (2, somewhat personal) I'm the guy in the Debian community
    that has/wants to do the work of packaging the new compiler and
    binutils and I can't do this release and the packaging at
    the same time.

    At this time Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 supports 11 architectures (motorola,
    arm, power pc, hppa, ia64, ia32, S390, ... you get the point.)  The
    current H8/300 tool-chain (gcc/binutils) which I packaged does not work
    on three of these (ia64, hppa, and S390) so I need to package a new
    version.  The Debian community (i think i heard) is about to standardize
    shortly on the 3.2 compiler at which time I'll have it available from
    which to generate the tool-chain for H8/300 and I can have it working
    on all of our supported platforms.

    So... how about we wait until after the brickOS 1.0.0 release and our
    brickOS 1.1.0 release then be a roll to the gcc 3.x tool-chain.  If we
    do this your working on a patch, now, would be lost effort since we
    _will_ be changing a majority of the files between now and then.

    Does this make sense?  And does it sound OK?

Regards,
Stephen - member of the brickOS team / release manager for 1.0.0