 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2830
2829  |  2831
Subject:
Warning cleanup questions with gcc3.2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:29:48 GMT

When compiling brickos with gcc3.2, I get a lot (about 360 or so) of
warnings about two things;

a) warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
   These seem to be mostly quotes around blocks of assembly code. Some of
   the code in lib/mint seems to compile just fine and is in the form of;
__asm__ (
    ".section .text\n\t"
    ".global ___divhi3\n"
    "___divhi3:\n\t"
    "push r5\n\t"
    "push r6\n\t"
    "mov.w r0,r6\n\t"
    "mov.w r1,r5\n\t"
    "jsr @@82\n\t"
    "mov.w r6,r0\n\t"
    "pop r6\n\t"
    "pop r5\n\t"
    "rts"
);

    Note the quotes around each line. I think moving to this convention is
    the right thing to do.

b) warning: const qualifier ignored on asm
   These seem to be due to things like this;

#define bit_set(byte,bit) \
__asm__ ASMCONST ( "bset %0,@%1\n" : : "i" (bit),"r" (byte))

   I believe the right thing to do here is to remove the "ASMCONST".

So the questions I have are; Are these backward compatible solutions? Are
they good solutions? Should I spend the time to whip up a patch that will
touch a lot of files...

J*