 Robotics / RCX / Java / 219
Re: RCX <-> PC communication, more details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:14:09 GMT

I also found out, that the reason, why LNP does not get all packets through
to the RCX, is possibly swamping. I'll test that hypothesis and will try to
slow the PC down when sending. I'll inform you here about my results as soon
as I am done.

Great, I just had too much time at hand, so I could already test the
hypothesis above. Great, to be able to post a followup to my own message
within half an hour...

Ok, here it comes:

The PC __IS__ swamping the RCX when using the LNP protocol. When putting the
RCX within directly in front of the tower, I achieve 100% correct
transmission of the 20 ints with a 75 ms delay after each out.write() on the
PC side. Any shorter delays did not lead to a complete transmission sequence.

Moving the RCX away from the tower affects both the delay (naturally it needs
to be larger with increasing distance) and makes the communication errorprone
to ambient light and other factors (obviously).

So much FYI only.

Regards,
Kaspar