 Robotics / RCX / Java / 220
Re: RCX <-> PC communication, more details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:25:17 GMT

Hi Kaspar,

Thanx for the information.
In the Lejos-discussion mailing list (Sept 13), Lawrie Griffiths wrote:
"A timeout of 100 milliseconds or more should ensure that it reads all the
bytes in one message."

Looks like it confirms what you experimented...

Wap

"Chb" <kgunten@iiic.dot.ethz.dot.ch> a écrit dans le message de news:
H2J8rL.DyE@lugnet.com...
I also found out, that the reason, why LNP does not get all packets • through
to the RCX, is possibly swamping. I'll test that hypothesis and will try • to
slow the PC down when sending. I'll inform you here about my results as • soon
as I am done.

Great, I just had too much time at hand, so I could already test the
hypothesis above. Great, to be able to post a followup to my own message
within half an hour...

Ok, here it comes:

The PC __IS__ swamping the RCX when using the LNP protocol. When putting • the
RCX within directly in front of the tower, I achieve 100% correct
transmission of the 20 ints with a 75 ms delay after each out.write() on • the
PC side. Any shorter delays did not lead to a complete transmission • sequence.

Moving the RCX away from the tower affects both the delay (naturally it • needs
to be larger with increasing distance) and makes the communication • errorprone
to ambient light and other factors (obviously).

So much FYI only.

Regards,
Kaspar