 People / 1473
  Hobbies....

After reading the NetSlaves article in general, I got to thinking about hobbies. It's always interesting to look at a group of people I associate with, over some common cause, and find out what ELSE they do. So, I pose a question: What are some of (...) (24 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) I am a musician, keyboards & piano. Used to be in a hard rock band in the late 1980's which brought me from Boston to Los Angeles to New York City where I have been for 11 years, playing clubs, showcasing for record labels etc. The past few (...) (24 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) I dress up in funny clothes, eat weird food, and hit people with sticks. :) More precisely, I am involved in the Society for Creative Anachronism, which recreates (in a fun & safe way) many aspects of medieval life, not the least of which is (...) (24 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Well let's see... I used to collect basketball cards but I stopped a few years ago. I also collected zoids, micromachines star wars action fleet, exo-squad stuff, star wars books, and the old starcom toys. I still collect transformers mostly current (...) (24 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Lets see: Model Rockets (I have some stuff still, haven't launched in a while though...) Model Engineering (Live steam, railway mostly, but a heavy backing in traction engines&"hi tech" stuff. I have 2 lathes, and at one point also had a mill (...) (24 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

in article 3A68A7D9.4482FAE8@sonic.net, Matt Brooks wrote: <Sniii...iiip> (...) MmmMMmmm Tansformers. I have to limit myself to a certain quality level for Transforming stuff. So right now I've limited myself to transforming jet fighters. I just got (...) (24 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Wow, those are hard to find. I always liked those but I have no idea where you can get them anymore. Do they show up on eBay? (...) I was thinking about getting a Fire convoy, but the new Macross Plus Valkyries cost about the same, so the (...) (24 years ago, 19-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Actually I collected them when they first came out, and have a pretty decent collection. Unfortunately my Starmax Bomber did not fare as well as my other toys, since it yellowed quite substanially. However, almost all my other Starcom toys are (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:47:21 GMT, Matt Brooks <mbrooks@sonic.net> wrote: snip (...) snip (...) I've been wondering the same thing. some of mine, in no real order: 1. K'nex 2. Automotive/Heavy Truck repair. The only collection I have that outdoes my (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

In lugnet.people, Mark Sandlin writes: ... (...) Mmmmm.... Macross. Truly a fellow of taste ;) The only one I still have is the White Skull Leader (black and red accents) from years ago (In fact, the only 'Transformers' I bought were Macross (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Comic books. There's some real amazing artists out there these days. I do a bit of art work and writing whenever I can stomach sitting still long enough and there's no distractions. I tried to collect some of the current Beast Wars and Beast (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

I don't know if this is what people would call a "hobby," but I am an extremely active competitive swimmer. I spend six months of my year swimming for one team or another. My best events: 50 Free (0.25.00); 100 Free (0.56.10); 500 Free (5.56.40); (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

To All, Hobbies other than LEGO? I guess mine would be work, according to my wife. I spend a lot of time between my 3 to 4 jobs. ; ) I like to do some different things, I enjoy video games, especially role playing, some platform, racing (Grand (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Hmm...tough question. Since I (re)started into Lego, I've pretty much abandoned all other hobbies. But, here goes: -Hunting, fishing, outdoors -Playing and watching sports, esp. football -Playing computer and videogames -baseball card (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) When my LEGO Train and Town MOC's don't have me in stitches, I like to listen to 70's and 80's hard rock and heavy metal. Reading books, magazines (I'm a big railroad history buff, the correct term is 'ferroequinologist'. Walking, bicycling, (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Hey, man, let's just plan a weekend sometime. You could come down on Saturday, and we can hang out and build and stuff, and then you can crash here and head back on Sunday. (...) That's fun too. I have friends who own several computers, so I (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) They're designed in America by Americans. There's just some mecha quality that the Japanese have perfected. I dunno. (...) Macross toys are rather expensive and hard to get. You can get them on eBay, but be prepared to pay a LOT for them. Try (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Lets see... Reading - this is my oldest hobby, interests since high school or so are Fantasy and Science Fiction. I used to be a regular con attendee until I moved down here to North Carolina, though I did go to a con which just started last year (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Matt Brooks wrote in message <3A68A7D9.4482FAE8@s...ic.net>... (...) Music... I play violin and listen to classical music SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)... I dress up funny and watch my daughter kill people and get killed ((URL) House: (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Oh geez, Sportscards: Beat my head against that wall for almost 17 years. Wish I could have all of that time and money back, not really a hobby but an addiction. Still have a bunch that I occasionally toss up on eBay when I think I'm spending (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Interesting thread :) When I was a wee tot (before high school) I was heavily into GI Joe, Transformers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and watching great heaping gobs of television. As I grew older, the television and video gaming sort of (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) 1. Boxing - a great workout and a great stress release 2. Opera - my degree is in voice 3. Architecture - should have pursued that architecture scholarship 4. Drum and Bugle COrps - it ain't marching band - its an art form (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Speaking of which... what are the odds of you making it out to Clinton this year? :) I meant to try and get a hold of you before last year, but was just way too busy. (getting 2 more fighters into armor) James (24 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Uh...whoa....this is very interesting indeed. It seems that many of us have the same sorts of hobbies - well I'll ad my list (sorted time frame - past, current, future) PAST - Oooo....lots to list here - and I'm still somewhat interested in all of (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

James Brown wrote in message ... (...) just (...) Right now, I dunno... we usually go to a Music Camp in July and last year there was only about a week clear between that and Clinton Work Week, which meant I ended up having what amounted to 3 weeks (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Ed Jones wrote in message ... (...) My daughter is in the local Youth Band and they are a marching and concert band. It's interesting that when they enter competitions here in Canada, there are separate categories for US and Canadian bands, because (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Well, I used to have hobbies... most of the replies to this thread look familiar: programming, video games, Magic the Gathering, pinball, guitar, comics, snowboarding, rollerblading, programming, overworking, and others. But then I had a (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Believe me, I'd love to. But I think my girlfriend would have something to say about that (ask the VLC; that's why I can't stay at any LEGO meetings for more than 20 minutes or so.) I can just imagine it now: "You'd rather spend time with LEGO (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Well, they're programming geeks, so they don't spend their money on having a *real* life. ;^) ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

In lugnet.people, A. Mark Wilburn writes: . (...) Ack! My ears are burning. Statements like that make me cringe. It's good to be a single guy it's good to be a single guy it's.... junior (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) I think your mantra should be "It's good to find an understanding partner" My wife has no problem with me going to LEGO meetings. :^) ~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Hi Mark, My ex wife did not like lego, reckon it was time for me to grow up, but now i have a nice girlfriend who rings me up and says guess what i found, yeah more lego, we both go out to garage sales, trash and treasure looking for lego so no (...) (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) So there's at least two people in Michigan who use MiniDisc :-) Other hobbies? Photography, cooking, gaming (non-computer), composing, being Mom to two kitties. Amy (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) At least three. My roommate Tony introduced me to it. thousands of dollars later... : ) One for my vehicle, one for work, one for upstairs, one for my recording area.... one for my wife... Scott S. -- ***...*** Please visit (URL) (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Other Hobbies, huh? Well, here goes: Reading: One of my oldest hobbies, I generally read Fantasy. I especially like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Anime: Probably my favorite hobby (yes, I like it more than Lego, please don't kill me. ;) ), my (...) (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) ... Craig, you and Muffin head (and Dean!) are lucky; however, you misunderstand. My g/f is not some mean ogre who dislikes my hobbies. On the contrary, she also will call me up if she finds LEGO (or videogames) on sale somewhere. I can go to (...) (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Well, that would be collecting books. I have extensive (and in some cases complete) collections of Squadron/Signal (S/S), Aerofax, Pictorial Histories, Classic Warships, Schiffer Military, and Warbird/Airliner Tech books. I have over 700 total (...) (24 years ago, 24-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) <grin> Yeah, I consider myself lucky, especially now as I'm planning lego-building time w/Chris in a little over two weeks! (We don't get to see each other often right now, but we make the most of every visit...) Although it's totally awesome (...) (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Hmmm... -Writing, Poetry and short stories: (URL) (nothing online though) -Acting - a few musicals, written by our group director, including a tour in Germany, which was a lot of fun, but unfortunately ended with tragedy... I also acted in a (...) (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) I've had a boatload of interests over the years but currently: 1. Lego 2. Desktop publishing/web design. this started after I got my first laser printer (HP IIIP) about 10 years ago and realized that there was a reason for ATM other than (...) (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Jeff & All, (...) You got one, huh? I forgot to pre-order one, so I am fighting the mobs. Almost had one a few weeks ago at Meijer, but someone else got it. : ( Scott " The search goes on!" S. -- Want LEGO Elements at Great Prices? Visit The Sanburn (...) (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Hi Mark Well Glad to hear you have a good girlfriend then mate, it is one of the better hobbies to have than some of the other one my mates have like jumping out of planes or base jumping ect. Take care. Craig (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) <snip> Stage direction: Mark types as his girlfriend is watching over his shoulders ;) -- Thomas Main main@appstate.edu (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) <snip> (...) Do you mean riddles like this: Two men are found dead in a cabin in the woods. How did they die? And you have to ask yes or no questions to deduce the entire scene? If so...I love those. Do you know of a source that lists some of (...) (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Have you seen this page: (URL) think an HP 9100 was one of the first calcultors I ever used. (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) There is a game called "Mindtrap" (found in the board game section of toystores) that consists of a bunch of cards with questions such as these. I used to include this type of question as extra credit on my math tests because I like to give (...) (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

Let's see: Anime - I looove the Japanese Animation. I'm currently working my way through Evangelion, Card Captor Sakura, Key, Gundam Wing, Marmelade Boy, Utena, Bubble Gum Crisis 2040, and Sabre Marionette J. Role playing games - I've got a D&D3 (...) (24 years ago, 25-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

It looks like "collecting things" is a way of life in US..:-) I don't collect anything but Lego, and not collecting it just to sole purpose of collecting..:-) However I enjoy having things from the past, mostly books (a history atlas printed in (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Yup, although I haven't gotten any games for it yet. :) After I got it and beat my backlog of PSX games, I decided to take a break from gaming and work on building up my DVD collection. :D Jeff (24 years ago, 26-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

(...) Mindtrap is a lot of fun (and the radio ads were great, too)! I just wish I could find someone who wants to play it with me... :\ Jeff (24 years ago, 26-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)

  Re: Hobbies....

I might as well get involved here ... Computers - unfortunately it's difficult to get away from them when I have to work with them every day running all the IT systems here. And I have a laptop at home which has just acquired a Sidewinder Precision (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.people)