 People / 1473
1472  |  1474
Subject:
Hobbies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:47:21 GMT

After reading the NetSlaves article in general, I got to thinking about
hobbies. It's always interesting to look at a group of people I
associate with, over some common cause, and find out what ELSE they do.
So, I pose a question:

What are some of your hobbies? Outside of Lego?

I for one have about a quarter million hobbies I've pursued over the
years. The ones I primarily am involved in now include:

1) Dancing ballet. I've danced ballet for five going on six years now.
I've performed most of the male (and a few female) roles in 6 different
Nutcrackers; court jester in Cinderella; Curella DeVille in
Dalmations-Fantasy in Black in White, Lindoro in The Magic Flute (my
first lead role), and also danced to "Vivaldi's Spring", "Strangers" in
the Night as part of a tribute to Sinatra, a song from "Porgy & Bess,"
and various other pas de duexes (dances of two) or partner dances in
ballet.

2) Collectin Magic Cards. Ever hear of Magic the Gathering? By Wizards
of the Coast? While I was in my somewhat dim ages, I found this
collectible card game, and managed to amass close to 60,000 cards in the
last 7 years. They are currently amassed undermy bed, as well as in a
binder system which is ALMOST as complicated as the bin and tub system I
use for my Lego.

3) My one other great weakness is computer games. I have more than 250
different computer games, ranging from early 80's (King's Quest I
anyone) all the way up to today (American McGee's Alice is a HOOT!!). My
favorite company is Sierra On-Line, now just called Sierra, and I have
nearly every game made by them. My computer is up to date with every
gadget and gizmo I would need to play these games. Unfortunately, some
of my favorite, older games, run WAY to fast even on the slowest speed
setting of the game, because of the speed of the PIII chip. And, without
a real MS-DOS environment, lots of my stuff won't work without major
tweaking, for which I have very little time right now.

My other hobbies have included collecting everything from Garbage Pail
Kids (Still have all THOSE under my bed also), to posters, key chains,
buttons, stickers, books (Stephen King and an ENTIRE Piers Anthony
collection sit on my shelves), Disney movies, CD's, cooking utensils,
decorated tins, and Teddy Bears (my biggest collection when I was a
kid!).

Recently I've been looking at Transformers(again) on the net. And I
DON'T mean these new Transformers all made out of plastic and carrying
names like Beast Wars or whatever. I mean the REAL Transformers of the
80's. The ones they made out of metal, and plastic, and had engaging
storylines with. But, I won't delve into those for a while yet. There's
still more ABS out there with my name on it!

So, let's hear it! What are your hobbies??

Matt