 People / 1492
Re: Hobbies....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:23:39 GMT

What are some of your hobbies? Outside of Lego?

Oh geez,

Sportscards:  Beat my head against that wall for almost 17 years.  Wish I
could have all of that time and money back, not really a hobby but an
addiction.  Still have a bunch that I occasionally toss up on eBay when I
think I'm spending too much on LEGO (which is recently).  Still have an
impressive Albert Belle collection.  Everybody hates him but he's OK by me,
I think I have close to 3000 different cards of him.

Star Wars:  More wasted time and money with action figures in general.  Am
holding on to some of the newer (1995-present) 12" stuff but have really
thinned down the herd of other items.  Still have all of my original figures
and playsets with the boxes too (thanks Mom!)

Die Cast:  Actually found a middle ground here between enjoying collecting
and selling at the same time.  There is some really neat stuff out there.
Paul's Mini Champs, Burago, Anson, Hot Wheels, Matchbox.  If I can't afford
real ones might as well get the toys!

Video Games:  I have about 6 games for my Playstation.  When I'm ticked off
I put in either Driver and ram other cars or Tekken 2 or 3 and beat people
up.  I like older arcade games when I can find them.  Late Ms. Pac-Mans were
on speed and move REALLY fast.  Some were even rigged to give you 5-6 extra
plays.  Centerpeded, Tempest, Pole Position, Rampage (the first one),
Dig-Dug, Space Invaders, Frogger, Q-Bert, Galaxy.

Music!:  Big Pink Floyd junkie.  Lots of bootlegs on CD, CDr and vinyl.
Like lots of bands:  The Doors, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Black Grape,
Moby, Prodigy, the Chemical Brothers, Jesus and Mary Chain, Nirvana, Bee
Gees, KC and the Sunshine Band, I could go on and on...

Remote Control Cars:  I have a Super Sabre that needs major updating and
repairs.  And a boat that needs some help too.

Hess Trucks, Old Tonka stuff, Franklin Mint/Danbury Mint cars (Xmas gifts
from Mom)

Used to have a model train layout.  Lionel and American Flyer, love the big
noisy stuff.  Me and dad were nuts and didn't realize how many rules we were
breaking.  Showed pics of the layout to a guy that ran a shop and he looked
up at us in amazement and said "You guys put switches up on trestles?"  Heck
yeah!

Other building toys:  Still have all of my Capsela, Robotix, Construx, and
Erector sets from like 15 years ago.

I can draw mazes.  Used to do a lot in high school and then less in college
and almost none now.  All curvy and funky, looks like brains or intestines
when done.  Used to go nuts and draw them on the sides of books even.

media:  Love the History Channel, TLC, ESPNs, Rally races.  Movie with
Arnold, Mad Max, especially the first 20 minutes of the first movie,
awesome!  Monty Python (I'm not dead yet!)

Snowmen:  In 10th grade it snowed.  I built a snowman.  The snow melted.  I
fixed the snowman.  I hid snow in the shade so when I came home from school
I could fix him.  I called him Buffy ( this is 1988, before vampire
slayers).  It was like 50 degrees out and all of the snow had melted and
there was the snowman.  Thus began the snowman collection.  Globes, candles,
ceramics, general snowman stuff.  It's wierd but hey.

A lot of stuff is in boxes , attics and closets.  I've painted, burned (oh
yes, we burned LOTS of stuff at one time), sold, binged, resold at less than
I paid, on lots of stuff but LEGO has always held my interest.  I can't
imagine selling even the ugliest Juniorized piece.  Guess that's why I'm here.

Man, that was epic.

junior