 Organizations / United States / GardenSLUG / 114
Re: LARGEST LEGO LOT ON EBAY EVER!! (???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 01:46:02 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:

I am slowly becomming convinced that it isn't worth trying to
reconstruct sets unless you know a particular set is in a collection,
and you really want to build it.

I'm not big on "me too" posts but I really have to say how much I agree with
this one. I have bought 2 different large collections, and been part of a
consortium on another. None of them are anywhere near completely put back
together and I don't know if I'll ever have time to do it... and i know
there are some gems in each one.

For those who have such collections which they are looking to sell much
of, one way to deal with it could be to occasionally invite folks over
to browse the collection and make bids on things their interested in. If
they discover something you really want, you pay them off with something
else (to pay them for the "work" of pulling something interesting out).
I'd certainly be happy to paw through a huge collection like this and
pull out parts I want or sets I want (and Uncle Dan will tell you I'm
also plenty willing to make a very fair offer for items pulled out like
this, he got probably 70-80% of what the items would have got on
auction, and had much less work [note that he also gave me a discount
from my offer, which accounts for much of the reduced price, some of it
also is due to that fact that in some cases I probably wouldn't offer
the best you could get on auction]).

I haven't decided yet what the best way
to document a collection for insurance purposes is, but that might be
another reason to reconstruct sets.

I really would like to find a solution for this one, as I have a large risk
item hanging out on that...

Well, this particular collection suggests one way if one is willing to
spend some money (and potentially get some negative feedback), take
pictures of all the bits of your collection, and then put up a bunch of
auctions on eBay with a very high reserve (significantly higher than you
feel the items are worth - then you get to decide what to do if someone
actually wins...).

I wonder if we should set up our own insurance company (which would then
make it easy to certify our own appraisers, I bet there are enough
people we could trust). If we could sign up everyone with a huge
collection plus a bunch of folks with $5k+ collections, we could
probably bring in enough income to be able to pay off claims. Of course
there would be a lot of hassles.

Another way would be to try and convince a couple major companies to
accept appraisals for LEGO collections from a number of us.

The insurance issue is one many reasons I really am really itching to
get into my own house (of course I'll really need to cut back on the
LEGO spending then...). Since I don't smoke and don't have roaring
parties, I suspect I could dramatically reduce my risk of fire. I'm not
sure how much of a theft risk there is. It's probably not very high. One
could also deter some of it, or at least increase the chances of
recovery, by marking one's most valuable pieces. Assuming one chooses to
live out of flood plains etc. one should have minimal risk from natural
disasters (a hurricane is unlikely to destroy one's collection). Fire
and theft are also the only real hazards which would not leave one with
the damaged LEGO to back the claim up.

Frank