 Marketplace / Theory / 1923
Re: LARGEST LEGO LOT ON EBAY EVER!! (???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 20:07:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Ack!  That is indeed a whole friggin' mess of LEGO!

In lugnet.general, Aaron Gershon writes:
Seller states that there really is over 2000 lb of Lego.  He will rent a
U-Haul and deliver in USA or Canada. Search 'Lego Collection:'item
553020871. Current bid was over $3000 but he wants probably 20x that! Let me
know what you think!

  However, broken up I really do agree that $50K is a conservative
  estimate of its value.  If it's really a full ton, with older sets
  and complete instructions for some of those sets (I saw that Yellow
  Castle, yessirree) it could easily be worth six figures as parts.

Possibly, possibly not. I did some quick calculations. A month or so back, I
posted the results of my 'how many 2x4 bricks are in a pound' experiment. My
answer was 202-203 (or 101/8-oz to be precise). 2x4 bricks are, at least to me,
a benchmark for what a Lego piece weighs. Many pieces weigh less, and some weigh
more. Based on that, he (most likely) has 400K - 600K pieces here. If I were
betting, I would put it somewhere around 475K. These was computed using 202/lb
and 2K lbs.

Extrapolating a bit further (out the pier), the 'new MSRP' value of the parts
alone is probably $20K. Some of those sets are much rarer than the intrinsic
parts, a few (mostly the recent ones) as worth less. I think a fair high bid
would be $12K-$15K. Lets make some popcorn and sit back and watch. What does
everyone think ?

Ray