 General / 27563
Re: LARGEST LEGO LOT ON EBAY EVER!! (???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:48:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Busse writes:
In lugnet.general, Rose Regner writes:

I will not make the reserve price public, but believe me I was shocked.

He has upadted his auction listing, so I will quote it here:

"My reserve is a very reasonable 95,000 dollars, that includes delivery,
storage containers, filing system, et all! "

   Oh my.  My goodness.  I was prepared for ~25,000 but not that.
   It's obvious that he doesn't want to sell unless he gets right
   about what the value is, parted-out, or perhaps a bit less
   without the hassle of shipping it.  I wonder how many of the
   recent auctions he's won were aimed at completing older sets
   and padding out the value?

   My suggestion would be that when this enterprise doesn't work,
   he part it out piecemeal.  That could bring a relatively decent
   living--my collection is less than half the size, and parts
   sales brought me a handy $2500 a month last summer (important
   because my summer class was cancelled).  Of course, he's already
   said in his addendum that that's what he intends to do.  But
   as far as the insurance thing, I agree that he's shooting him-
   self in the foot by announcing his reserve.  It will, as another
   poster said, prevent a realistic estimate of market value from
   being made by scaring away the $25K bidders (or consortia there-
   of).

   Nice that the seller's been trying to catalogue it, though--
   that will come in very handy when putting it up for sale piece-
   meal.  I wish I'd known the difference in values between
   piecemeal and whole when I was selling my GI Joe and Transformers
   just two years ago--I ended up with less than $700 for two
   collections worth more than $3000 piecemeal, given their
   conditions!  A costly reminder, I suppose--but perhaps a
   confirmation that the value of a generic collection is usually
   25% of the value of the parts separately (with gradations
   between for different levels of sorting).

Also, A little detective work shows he may be a Lugnet Member ...
[snipped]

   I'm sure he's watching this discussion with muted amusement. ;)

   best,

   LFB.

   (XFUT -> .market.theory where this angle belongs!)