 General / 27522
Re: LARGEST LEGO LOT ON EBAY EVER!! (???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:00:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.general, William Brumbach writes:

Oh my, the madness has begun.  An east coast thing eh?  Now I have many
questions.  How do we propose to break this up?  As mentioned somewhere else
putting it all up on ebay would be a lot of product on the market, even if
temporary.

But it could be trickled onto eBay and bring income over time without
substantially devaluing.

I agree.  Just wanted to gauge other timetables concerning this.  I think if
done correctly this shouldn't hurt the market.

Where would we put the stuff in the mean time, it looks
substantial.

My place would be OK.  (Hillsborough, NJ)  I'm on 1.7 acres with lockable
outbuildings...I don't have room in my house for that much extra.  (Well...I
might be able to figure something out if it were all going to be mine ;-)

Where is gardenslug?  I mean, I know New Jersey, but north or
south?

New Jersey, NYC, Philly, and anywhere else that people want to be members.
Why?  It's not as if getting around a state this small is a hassle.

Just out of curiousity.  Haven't seen any posts recently about any get
togethers and haven't had the chance to bug anyone about it.  And driving
isn't a problem for me, trust me.  (94 subaru station wagon with 211,000 miles)

I think getting a better idea of what is in the lot is a good idea.

Me too.  I hope that Rose gets back to us.

This is really what I could go on about I think.  First off, the pics are
lousy.  For the greatest ebay lego lot ever get some resolution. (I can rant
about that pet peeve elsewhere)  From the pics it looks like my collection
with a whole lot of new stuff.  There's a Beta base, all-teraine vehicle,
and mobile rocket transport from classic space,  and a 358 rocket base in
one pic.  And then bunches of containers.  From the set list on the webpage
there are lots of sets missing pieces here and there, what kind of condition
are these in, are they very used?  I see pics of robo-riders and mention of
Fabuland and cringe.  how much of this stuff is in there.  The stack of
newer sets has one train, aquaraiders, some wild west, and other newer
themes from 95/96.  What percentage of the lot does this stuff comprise.
And the pic with the 12V piece of track is obviously a used lot, how used
stuff is here?

But the logistics of who gets what how is the most important I feel.  If a
group of people wants to toss in a grand or more into this how is everyone
guaranteed their money's worth?

Well, it ultimately depends on the amount we end up spending.  But there are a
couple of simple ways to distribute it.  The simplest way would be for all the
buyers to take turns drafting elements (or small lots of elements) in
proportion to their share of the cost.  Another way would be to assign points
(or dollars, or whatever) based on the amount that you put in and then auction
the lot broken down among the participants.  Assuming that we get together in
person, I really don't think that distribution is at all a problem.  Assuming
that we can't then it's a bit of extra logistical effort, but still not a real
problem.

True, but already I'm sure people have in mind what they want out of this.
I want these but not those, etc.

Plus make sure that no one backs out at auction's end.

That is a real concern.  I think we'd need to take deposits or only include
people who're in a known network of trust.  There are several (but not a
hundred) of you out there who I would trust for $1K.  I would hate to place the bid and then get stuck without backing.

Yes, me too.

OK, I can go on but this is enough for now.

Please go on.

I think these are valid and important points if a madcap
venture like this is to be undertaken.

It is too bad that the seller didn't advertise with us long enough in advance
to get us set up in time to think everything through perfectly.

Chris

The more I look at the pictures in the auction and the partial list on the
website the more disheartening it is.  It's just one big mess.  It looks
like the legos in my apartment gone completely berserk on speed.  And I
thought my 110 gallons worth of unsorted stuff that I have was a lot...

Bill