 Marketplace / Theory / 1924
Re: LARGEST LEGO LOT ON EBAY EVER!! (???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 20:20:32 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  However, broken up I really do agree that $50K is a conservative
  estimate of its value.  If it's really a full ton, with older sets
  and complete instructions for some of those sets (I saw that Yellow
  Castle, yessirree) it could easily be worth six figures as parts.

Possibly, possibly not. I did some quick calculations. A month or so back, I
posted the results of my 'how many 2x4 bricks are in a pound' experiment. My
answer was 202-203 (or 101/8-oz to be precise). 2x4 bricks are, at least to me,
a benchmark for what a Lego piece weighs. Many pieces weigh less, and some weigh
more. Based on that, he (most likely) has 400K - 600K pieces here. If I were
betting, I would put it somewhere around 475K. These was computed using 202/lb
and 2K lbs.

Extrapolating a bit further (out the pier), the 'new MSRP' value of the parts
alone is probably $20K. Some of those sets are much rarer than the intrinsic
parts, a few (mostly the recent ones) as worth less. I think a fair high bid
would be $12K-$15K. Lets make some popcorn and sit back and watch. What does
everyone think ?

   I don't know--your mass/pieces reckoning is fine by me, but you're
   far undervaluing the market value of the pieces, IMHO.  $0.10 is a good
   rule of thumb buying them at MSRP; even then, we'd be talking $47,500.
   But my experience of selling parts has produced an average far above
   that, $0.24 per piece to be exact, and that's including a lot of very
   undesirable pieces that are overexposed as well as a lot of high-
   value bits (like 6x24 grey plates at $12 a pop).  If we use my $
   figures and your mass figures, we'd get a theoretical value closer to
   $115,000 if the sets were parted out into piece lots and eBayed that
   way.

   Now *unsorted* I'd agree with your assessment of the likely value
   someone will place on the collection.  I was talking above about the
   potential value of the pieces, if sorted and sold by someone with
   the knowledge to do so strategically.

   best,

   LFB