 General / 27531
Re: LARGEST LEGO LOT ON EBAY EVER!! (???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:20:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.general, William Brumbach writes:
The more I look at the pictures in the auction and the partial list on the
website the more disheartening it is.  It's just one big mess.  It looks
like the legos in my apartment gone completely berserk on speed.  And I
thought my 110 gallons worth of unsorted stuff that I have was a lot...

Bill

Earlier, I posted a message where I estimated about 475K pieces. The more I
think about this (and reread the specific wording of the auction), I wonder if I
overestimated. If that 'over a ton' includes the weight of the containers, then
I would chop my piece estimate severly.

Most of the hype and runup to bidding for this auction seem to focus on the
quantity and the scarcity of the lot. There appears to be a number of old
catalogs & instructions booklets. There may be alot of older & unusual parts.
Some older sets are visible. There is almost assuradly a large amount of work
sorting whatever is here.

The seller obviously knows that lugnet exists (he is using lugnet links for his
set list). It would be nice/helpful if the seller joined this discussion to
answer any/all questions concerning this auction. If it is indeed a ton of legos
and over a million pieces, it would be in his best interest to inform the
maximum number of bidders.

Ray

I would also treat an auction like this with a healthy dose of skepticism.
I am not implying anything about this seller, but consider someone who wants
to exit the LEGO hobby and boosts his collection by buying a bunch of blue
tubs.  Depending on the quantities involved it is possible that all of a
sudden the real value per brick or per pound shrinks drastically to the
value of basic bulk bricks.  2000 pounds of specialty pieces are worth a
bunch more than 2,000 pounds of blue tubs...

Reason well,

Andreas Stabno
http://www.megsinet.net/~stabno/SimiLego.htm