 Off-Topic / Debate / 19466
  This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

Subject: Questions Do you know enough to justify going to war with Iraq? 1. Q: What percentage of the world's population does the U.S. have? A: 6% 2. Q: What percentage of the world's wealth does the U.S. have? A: 50% 3. Q: Which country has the (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) The US budget is ~$350bn. Iraq spends $1.4bn (...) He also said: "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." Scott A (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: (warning: the constant use of smileys would get tedious) :-) (...) If them furriners stop a-comin' here, then we woodn't be so crowded-like. (...) You say that as if it were a bad thing. (...) Oily to (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) <snip> Q: Who is responsible for killing more MUSLIMS than anyone else in the world? Q: Who is about to order the unleashing of chemical and/or biological weapons on US troops that he always claimed he never had? Q: Who's self-proclaimed hero (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) <snip> (...) Again, it came across my desk (probably written by one of these peace loving pink wearing radicals...), and, as shown by you, there are many things we could possibly discuss--but the concerns raised are concerns that should be (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Thus far none have been released, and none would have been released if there was no war. They may have been found by the inspectors, if given the time needed, and even if not--you let a tiger roam around, you may not get attecked--you back him (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Stole it from the Indians (and gave them that awful name, too). In Canada the French stole it fom the Indians, and then had the brits steal it from them (who went on to steal the rest of it from the Indians). Oh, and who's self-proclaimed hero (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) What, no guess? (...) Uh, we don't know that. (...) Or, he could just attack you for no reason. (...) I don't get your point. (...) Dave, Dave, Dave, David. When will you and the UN and the Left learn-- weapons inspections are a JOKE. Do we (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Sadam Hussein. <snip> (...) Perhaps. But at least they have stopped trying to kill us. JOHN (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Ok, if you want to play this game, then the US should have stayed out of WWII. So should Canada. Of course since we are all horrible sinners for our pasts, we might as well all just go commit suicide now. Our treatment of the Native Americans (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Why would I presume to answer a question that you presumably already know the answer to? (...) Again, we don't know that he *is* going to release these weapons, either. So where are we now? You're starting to sound much like other folks old (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Allow me to paraphrase: When will the Left and the UN stop participating in democratic debate and simply accept what the Right says on blind faith with no (or in spite of) evidence? (...) What you don't seem to understand is that even the Left (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) I didn't want to sound like the ol' slippery slope situation, but re-reading it... there you are... K, with all these shades of grey in the world now, is hard to stand on a soap box an preach about justice and doing the right thing when me and (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Why would you answer a question that I already know the answer to? So that I would know that you know the answer. It's not such a far-out concept. Lawyers would never dream of asking questions in the courtroom to which they don't already know (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler writes: I am not denying the following... (...) but you must admit the truth of the following... The 10 non permanent members are essentially random. Let me pick them and I'll give you 10 votes in favour... (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) The fact is that *no* amount of evidence would have prevented a French veto. They are too invested. And, to be honest, I don't blame them; they are looking out for what's best for France. I just wish they'd be honest about it. (...) Then why (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) This is more offensive to me than openly going for an oil grab -- the fact that you believe these lies. When this is over and we have turned over all of those oil fields to the people of Iraq without western companies like Halliburton (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Where does this number come from? Someone else (John Derbyshire) did some digging and came up with 34% of the world's GDP, using IMF figures. That's not the same as "wealth" so what is meant by that? (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Interesting chain e-mail I received. (was Re: This just came across my desk)

(...) You know if this really is just about oil, then every American citizen has the right and duty to put a bullet through Bush's head for flagrant misuse of military power. However I doubt that is the case (after all it would have been much easier (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

Sorry John, but I read the whole thread and my ruling is that you are an idiot. Believe what you want, wave your little American flag thinking you are the center of the universe, that your Prez is right, that Hussein is the Antechrist itself, that (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) It's broken because of USA. This war proves that USA should be disarmed once and for all. Enough with USA's permanent wars. For over 50 years now USA has been the terror regime holding the world on the brink of a nuclear war. USA should be (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) And you have the insolence to call *me* an idiot??? JOHN (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Hmmm. Stylish, pithy -- what's not to like? Maybe we americans could do worse than excel at being "south of Canada" -- or "south of Quebec," for that matter... Beats out imperialism by a good measure. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

Which is more falsely presumptuous: american imperialism or calling upon supposedly peace-loving countries to follow through on standing down nuclear weapons? "Idiot" is polite given the context. I guess you are all in favor of the "preemptive use (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) What am I to think-- that you are defending Terry's post? It was quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read in this NG-- right up there with your infamous anti-semitic rant. (...) Sorry to disappoint. I find *your* comments highly amusing-- (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Spoken like a true Canadian. <rant> I find it interesting that even with all the disarming of our military power over the past 20 years, that there are folks calling for even more dispersal of our meager military might. Want to prevent the US (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Fine, let's all chip in and help, but first, ensure that no warlords, dictators, tyrants or the like will EVER recieve any of this funding. Prove that every penny will go towards aid and none of it will make anyone else rich and I'll back the (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) It would have been even nicer if the west had not armed SH to start with! (...) So why does the USA support Sharon; is he not a psychopath with chemical weapons? (...) Why? (...) What does Bush do about Sharon using "living shields"? (...) (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Give your tired, anti-semitic trolls a rest-- you have ploughed that ground enough. JOHN (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) What is "anti-Semitic" about that statement of fact? Am I racist because Snipes is a bad actor? Am I sexist because Thatcher's policies lacked compassion? Am I homophobic because George Michael’s last album was a dud? Face facts: Israel is a (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) It is not a "fact", it is your anti-semitic opinion. (...) Who said Jews couldn't be anti-semitic? (That was rhetorical; I'm finished with this conversation). JOHN (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) I've said before that France is hardly morally clear on this matter, since they're motivated at least in large part by their past financial investment in Iraq, as well as promised contracts for future oil rights. So, to that end, you're (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) I second this sentiment absolutely. Specifically, I have the feeling that at least one of the vehicles in our convoy is carrying a 600lb payload of "forbidden" chem weapons, all set to be loaded into a captured Iraqi al-Samoud missile to be (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti writes: <snip> (...) Vive Le Canada!!! Oh wait, I'm Canadian--we never talk ourselves up! Sorry about that indiscretion... ;) Dave K (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Tell that to the 20,000 who died in the Lebanon. (...) Justify that; if you can. Scott A (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) The Security Council is designed so the really powerful can stop any actions against its interests, including the United States (which has used it's veto power liberally). But the UN suffers from a lack of conviction in general. If it imposes (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) <snip> I'm going to say this one more time--it came across my desk--I'm not defending every jot and tittle, but it made me think. (...) Do you realize what you just wrote? Let me phrase it like this-- (...) Hypocritical. SH has committed (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) You are right, and for 2 reasons-- inspectors can be so easily thwarted, and the man is (was?) a liar! Scuds are flying everywhere-- where the hell did they come from? It's all been a big lie. The fact is that Bush was right. (...) That's a (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Nope. It will be flown in by black heliocopter. JOHN (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) There's rumor that Iraq fired a Scud earlier today. Just a rumor, who knows if true, but if it is, it puts paid to the notion that Iraq had already disarmed, as Scuds are banned. This does not defuse the "inspections would have disarmed (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Speaking of which, are there any Black Hawk helicopters that HAVEN'T crashed? Lately it seems like not a day goes by that we don't hear of one crashing somewhere in the world. Perhaps we should re-examine the design of that fine vehicle. Dave! (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) [If true] It proves he was wrong; Blix would have found them. Everyone said the scenario where he'd use any WOMD was the one where he was attacked! Scott A (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) It's the colour - pink ones never crash. ;) Scott A (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) It wasn't Blix's job to *find* them! It was SH's job to simply produce proof that he had destroyed all of the illegal weapons. Blix was merely supposed to verify this. The whole affair was a charade to make the Lefties feel good about (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Even if true, it was working. It made for crap tv, but it was working. Bush could not take the credit, but it was working. Bush's buddies were not getting gov contracts, but it was working. Scott A (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Explain for us exactly how Saddam would prove that he doesn't have banned weapons. Dave! (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Exactly. Hence the entire concept of inspections is flawed... certainly with the number of inspectors that were going to be used. Now, maybe with more inspectors and a systematic examination of every square inch of countryside, it might be (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) We already know he has them. He would show that he has destroyed them. JOHN (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Perhaps if you say it enough times, it will magically become true. JOHN (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) [if true]…and now Bush is about to cause a refugee crisis in the region. Can you think of better cover to smuggle proscribed bio-agents [say] out of the country? Scott A (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Perhaps if you click your heels together three times and say "There's no place like home! There's no place like home!" you will magically be whisked off to a place where the president of the United States at least tries to be Just, and not (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) How is that being called "anti-semitic" has almost become an honor? If this is code for "has no interest in supporting Israeli aggression" then I would accept such an attack readily. I remain, of course, a friend to the Jewish community all (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) I don't really want to argue this point overmuch, disliking almost all politicians anyway, but... Such questions should never have been put to the man in the first place. And who doesn't lie about a furtive affair? I expect better of you, (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Actually, I've read a good deal of stuff that points out exactly why it wasn't perjury. Specifically, the Starr-crossed prosecutors were operating according to the definition of "sex" or "sexual relations" (I'm not sure which, at this point) (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about what I wrote. Look very closely at the region of the world we are talking about. How many countries immediately surrounding Iraq are gunning for it's immediate destruction. 0. Now, take a look at (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Larry's stance at the time, and I'm sure it is now the same, is the obvious. President Clinton should have called them inappropriate questions and simply dismissed it as a crude joke / witch-hunt. He should have stood up for the right by (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) See, John? That's how one properly invokes Dave! RE: Evil--I think, Larry, that your (and my) definition of evil is markedly different from the definition supported by our Appointed Theocrat Lil' Bush. Even Reagan's reference to The Evil (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Is the DPRK evil or not? I missed where you answered this one, Dave! (...) Pin it on the current administration, eh? That's quite the stretch, even for you, Dave! I'm completely happy to place most of the blame for where we are now on the (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) I am merely pointing out that it was a matter of greater personal importance than of national importance; consequently, I don't really care about the nature of his answers or evasions. Focus, focus, focus -- on what really matters. I am (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Whoops! Let me clarify: Inasmuch as we have previously agreed that communist nations are evil (as opposed to Dubya's fire-&-brimstone pulpit definition of evil), then I agree that DPRK is evil. (...) Nice usage, once again! (...) I'm not sure, (...) (21 years ago, 20-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

LET THIS BE CLEAR : I AM NOT CANADIAN. You want to know Canada's opinion on the issue? Well, there is Ontario, who is against a war without the UN, but wishes the US wil win the war. Totally opposite statements. That's Ontario for you. Then there is (...) (21 years ago, 22-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) I agree. (...) Of course! But the dream is getting even better by the minute! :-) (...) Yes they do. But which country has been involved in the most ars since, let's say, 1950? Don't even think about Russia or, hehehe, Iraq... (...) Well, (...) (21 years ago, 22-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) So, why does the US have any Nuclear weapon? for self defense? against whom? Iraq? Oh, wait, US attacked Iraq, not the other way around... And nuclear weapons against Bin Laden, well, it's unlikely... Your argument doesn't make sense. (...) (...) (21 years ago, 22-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions

(...) Has Quebec seceded already, then? Else I am not following you. By the way, not everyone in Canada shares your view... (URL) I know... he's from the west coast. (21 years ago, 23-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)