 Off-Topic / Debate / 17376
Re: Is the Palestinian Cause Dead? The Latest Terror Attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:55:46 GMT

Scott A wrote:

Personally I have given up trying to figure out who started it. (There are so
many contradicting accounts of history it is absurd.)

A good starting point would be to review the accounts of Israeli armed
forces personal and government reports which come to light as the Israeli
30-year discloser law brings reveals them. Analysis of these is very slowly
revealing the truth. It is a pity Arab nations don’t have similar laws…

I'm not sure I care who started it (1). What I do care about are the
following points:

- That we acknowledge that the Jewish people had cause to trust that no
existing government would protect their rights.

- That we acknowledge that the Palestinian people have cause to distrust
that any existing government will protect their rights.

- That we acknowledge that there are plenty of governments which are
dominated by Arabic and/or Islamic people, whom the Palestinians should
be able to trust to protect their rights (sadly, I don't think even the
acknowledged citizens of those governments can trust their government to
protect their rights).

Perhaps it is time we recognize the root cause of these conflicts, and
ask why there is no one these people can truly trust to protect their
rights (though ultimately, the only person you can trust to protect your
rights is yourself). Perhaps if the world had not flipped the Jews the
bird 70 years ago, they wouldn't have felt the need to carve out a new
home for themselves.

The question is how to make a place for the Palestinians to call home,
without turning the Israeli people out of their homes (which will not
solve anything, in fact, if one trusts that Israel does indeed have
nuclear weapons, such a course will trigger a nuclear war).

Continuing to heap blame on the Israelis will not solve the problem,
unless we care to re-open the whole past 70 years for inspection.

(1) For one thing, it was started long before our written history, and
I'm not sure that archeology is completely up to the task of determining
who started it.

Frank