 Off-Topic / Debate / 17353
17352  |  17354
Subject:
Is the Palestinian Cause Dead? The Latest Terror Attacks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 01:47:01 GMT

Well, I've stayed out of here for a while, but something I just read has
compelled me to speak out. This statement from CNN (
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/08/04/mideast/index.html ):

It [ Hammas ] also said Sunday's attack was carried
out to show its displeasure with results of
a U.N.-sponsored investigation into the
Israeli incursion into the Jenin refugee
camp in April.

If Israeli citizens are killed because the Palestinians don't like the
results of a UN investigation, then I fear they have no intention of
accepting any resolution towards peace (short of elimination of Israel).

I was also very disappointed by the bombing of the university, a
university whose presence in the Middle East pre-dates the formation of
Israel. What this tells me is that not only do the Palestinians (or at
least Hammas) not want Israel to be in the ME, they don't want ANY Jews
(even those who were living in the ME prior to the formation of Israel).

I honestly think it is time for those countries who wish to see peace,
and accept that BOTH Palestinians and Israelis must be part of that
peace plan, to enter the Palestinian territory and enforce peace within
that territory (including enforcement against Israeli actions). The PA
is showing itself completely incapable of controlling the actions of
it's people.

I do not find Israel blameless either, but unless the world is prepared
to re-settle the Israeli people someplace else, and to allow them to
create a self governing place for themselves, I see no solution. The
same is true of the Palestinians, however, they clearly need help in
creating that society.

I am very troubled by what is going on, and I can see both sides desire
and need for their own home. Sadly, the world blew it 70 years ago for
the Jewish people, and basically flipped them the bird, and now we are
paying the price for that. To get out of this mess, we need to not flip
the Palestinians the bird, and at the same time acknowledge the plight
of the Jewish people.

Frank