 Off-Topic / Debate / 17352
Re: John Deere Mecha
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:32:07 GMT

Christopher Snead wrote:
I think the point is that they're not trying to clear the whole forest; they're
just trying to remove certain trees.  With environmental legislation affecting
how corporations use natural resources, minimal disturbance might be an
attractive feature for prospective logging companies.

Selective logging is the way of the future (well it was the way of the
past as well). Many logging companies are using heavy -lift helicopters
to bring trees out of the forest rather than dragging them out on skid
trails.  I've seen video of them using the helicopter technique in
clearcutting :( and selective logging.  This machince looks to still
require dragging a tree out of the forest for processing, and the road
for that is potentially way more destructive than the act of logging itself.

Men with chainsaws are quite efficient to that end; there's no need for fanccy
expensive walking machinery in that area.

I once saw an experiment forest where two plots were logged twenty years
previous; one was logged with machinery while the other was logged using
horses for the pulling power. It was difficult to tell that the forest
had been logged in the case of the horses.

-c (who might be doing some restoration logging this winter :)